Corroded safety pin lodged in girl's nose found to be cause of six-month-long illness

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon
Safety Pin Lodged In Girl's Nose Found To Be Cause Of Six-Month Sickness

Apparently, "safety" pins may not quite live up to their name.

Though the handy device can often be used as a quick fix for a myriad of wardrobe malfunctions, on some occasions they can actually be the source of the trouble.

This sentiment proved true for one 5-year-old girl from California who was thought to be suffering from a serious and ongoing sinus infection.

KGO reports that for about six months, Khloe Russell had a constant runny nose.

"About six months ago, her nose just started (running) out of this one side. Green, green, green constantly and it stunk," said Khloe's mother Katelyn Powell in an exclusive interview with ABC Eyewitness News.

As any concerned parent would do with a sick child, Powell took Khloe to see a doctor.

According to UPI, that one doctor's visit turned into many, but the numerous antibiotics Khloe was prescribed did almost nothing to fix the problem.

"We went home, did 10 days of medication, didn't work," Powell said. "We took her even to the dentist because we thought it was her teeth -- nothing."

By now you've probably figured out that this was not your average sinus infection -- much like Khloe's parents did when, one day, she blew her nose and out popped a corroded safety pin, putting an end to her troubles.

Black and disintegrating, the nightmarish pin measured about 1.5 inches long.

And although Khloe is reportedly healing "like a champ," that hasn't stopped people on social media for attacking Powell's parenting skills over the incident:

I never thought I'd be sitting in my room crying over the terrible things people have said about both me and khloe but I am and it sucks. I'm human and it is effecting me even though I wish it wasn't.

Posted by Katelyn Powell on Wednesday, March 2, 2016

However, Khloe isn't the first child to get a foreign object stuck up her nose: In 2012 a boy in Salt Lake City had a LEGO tire removed from his nose that had been there for roughly three years.

Nor will she be the last.

"She found a safety pin and being a kid wanted to stick it up there to see how far it would go and thought she dropped it not realizing it had lodged itself in her nose," Powell explained in an online comment.

"We went to the same doctor and to urgent cares contracted through our doctors when there wasn't an available appointment," she continued. "All the doctors looked up her nose but didn't see anything. My daughter didn't mention anything because she didn't realize it had gone into her nose."

The take away? Haters gonna hate and kids will be kids.

More on that little boy who had a lego stuck up his nose for three entire years:

LEGO Piece Stuck in Boy's Nose For Three Years
Related stories:
This household item, smaller than a dime, poses a lethal danger to children
Study finds toxic chemicals in nail polish can seep into your body
Study links e-cigarettes to incurable disease called 'Popcorn Lung'

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

From Our Partners