12 confessions from atheists that might actually surprise you
Although nearly 90% of Americans identify as one religion or another, a small percentage of US citizens consider themselves atheists. And while freedom of religion (or lack thereof) is one of our constitutional rights, atheism faces a lot of backlash for its lack of belief in a god. However, whatever opinions you might have about atheists might get slightly rattled after reading what they have to say.
Several atheists took to Whisper, the popular app that provides an anonymous platform for people to share their most honest thoughts, to share surprising confessions about atheism.
1. If you wouldn't judge someone for having a particular religion, you shouldn't judge someone for not having one
2. Just because you don't believe in god doesn't mean you don't want to spread your ideas on religion
3. It's not always easy to not have a system of faith to turn to during trying times
4. Atheism may represent personal freedom, as well as religious freedom, in certain cases
5. Being spiritual and faithful doesn't have to be a religious experience
6. Without the pressure to believe, religious literature might bode more interesting for non-believers
7. Being areligious might also mean you don't believe in an afterlife
8. Just because you don't believe in a religion doesn't mean you don't respect loved ones who do
9. The backstories of religions are riddled with rich historical facts
Telling an atheist that he or she will find god might seem slightly ironic
10. Someone being an atheist doesn't mean that he or she is uneducated about religion
11. Not all good deeds are driven by a dedication to religion
12. Atheism doesn't necessarily imply a lack of religious curiosity
Want to hear more from atheists? Check out Whisper!
Atheism might be more popular than you think:
12 new moms share their struggle with postpartum depression
15 actors prove that their lives aren't all glitz and glamour
14 women get real about what a surrogate pregnancy is really like