Alarming pictures show fire caused by cell phone under pillow

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon
Alarming Pictures Show Fire Caused By Cell Phone Under Pillow

Startling images have been released by police to warn people about a potentially serious cell phone danger.

The NYPD 33rd Precinct recently tweeted photos of charred phones amidst burned bedding.

SEE ALSO: A group of gamers just published a molecular biology breakthrough

The accompanying message states, "Don't put your cellphone under a pillow when sleeping or when charging your device.Please share this tip and b safe!"



It is unknown when or where the photos were taken, but Gothamist points out the resemblance of some of them to an incident that happened years ago when a Texas teen's device caught her sheets and pillow on fire.

The NYPD warning was largely well-received, with one Twitter user responding, "You probably just saved my life."

More on AOL.com:
Man receives hilarious note after losing wallet in NYC
The VA's suicide hotline sent some veterans through to voicemail
George Gaynes, 'Police Academy' and 'Punky Brewster' actor, dies at 98

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

From Our Partners