Family lucky to be alive, receives incredible gift

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon
Family Gets Incredible Gift After Carbon Monoxide Scare
IONIA COUNTY, Mich. – A family who faced deadly levels of carbon monoxide levels in their home just days ago can breathe easier now, literally.

On Thursday Sarah Smith, a mother of four, awoke after one of her kids fell out of bed and began complaining of headaches. Upon waking up, Sarah realized she too was experiencing headaches and light-headedness along with the entire family. She quickly got in touch with her husband, a trucker who was on the road at the time, and evacuated the family from the home – and it was a good thing she did. Levels of CO in the home were nearly twenty times the level needed to set off most detectors, a deadly situation for the unsuspecting family.

SEE ALSO: Guardian angels patrol NYC subway after surge in subway crime

"If I would have fallen back asleep," Sarah said, "chances are I wouldn't have woke back up."
Ionia officials said it was the highest levels of carbon monoxide they'd seen in a home in quite some time, attributing the leak to a faulty furnace. But their problems may soon be over, thanks to the generosity of two West Michigan companies.

After seeing their story on FOX 17 News, Lowell-based Arctic Heating and Cooling and Grand Rapids-based Johnstone Supply teamed up to provide the Smiths with a brand new furnace, free of charge. Arctic covered the labor and Johnstone provided the hardware, a service they say they try to provide to a family or organization at least once a year. They've been performing the pro bono work for nearly a decade.

"Usually around the holidays," said Arctic owner Evert Bek. "We check with local ministries and food banks - sometimes we talk to them to see if anybody needs a furnace."
The family was gracious and understandably surprised by this incredible act of generosity – one that was potentially lifesaving.

"You don't get a new furnace every day for free," said Bek. "It's a good feeling to know that it won't happen again. They're good to go when they come home tonight, it's warm."

More on AOL.com:
The best and worst states for medical marijuana
Transgender student's fight to use boys' restroom goes to Federal Court of Appeals
Dog found injured, abandoned on highway gets second chance
Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

From Our Partners