Teen severely burned after huffing gasoline

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon
Teen Severely Burned After Huffing Gasoline
FRANKLIN COUNTY, MO (KTVI) - On Wednesday afternoon Franklin County sheriffs deputies and St. Clair Fire and EMS were called to a home on a private road at the 500 block of River Bend Park Lane just east of St. Clair for a fire and explosion.

That's where they found an 18-year-old male with severe burns to over 90 percent of his body.

SEE ALSO: Man arrested for forcing girlfriend to walk naked down NYC sidewalk

Investigators say he was huffing gasoline fumes from a can inside of a garage, lit a cigarette nearby and caused the explosion.

Franklin County Captain Charles Subke says the teens mother ran out to save her son and put out the flames while his clothes were still on fire.

"He got away from the gas can and lit a cigarette the flames flashed up and exploded and started the fire in the garage. It's a bad situation that happened and he will have to deal with it for the rest of his life," said Subke.

At this point investigators are not releasing the name of the teen. He was conscious and breathing when emergency crews found him at the scene.

More on AOL.com:
Parents arrested after baby swallows PCP-laced cigarette
Why Obama refused to speak at daughter's graduation
Auschwitz paramedic set to stand trial in Germany in February
Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

From Our Partners