FDA recalls popular brand of dog bones for salmonella contamination

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Chipotle Linked To Salmonella Outbreak

Just weeks after E. coli outbreaks at Chipotles across the nation, The Food and Drug Administration is reporting a voluntary recall of a popular chew bones for dogs.

In a press release from the FDA, Blue Buffalo Company said that their decision to recall the 'Cub Size Wilderness Wild Chews Bone' is being done "with an abundance of caution," noting that there is potential that the product may be contaminated with salmonella.

SEE ALSO: No source found for E. coli; Chipotle could reopen midweek

The FDA reports that the product was distributed to nine states beginning on November 19th-- California, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, and Washington.

According to their website, the contamination doesn't just affect the animal consuming the product, it could also affect the person handling the bones :

Salmonella can affect animals eating the product and there is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.

This is the second recall of a Blue Buffalo product this month, after one of their most popular cat treat was found containing a hazardous chemical.

Symptoms your pet may exhibit if they have been infected with salmonella include decreased appetite, fever, abdominal pain, lethargy and diarrhea.

Blue Buffalo Company is encouraging anyone who bought the product to discard it immediately, saying that the place of purchase will refund buyers in full.

Better safe than sorry!

Related: See the heartbreaking story of a dog who was given up for being too affectionate:

Dog Returned to Shelter for Being Too Affectionate Finds Forever Home

More from AOL.com:
McDonald's is poised to rule fast food again
New startup claims they could make death optional within 30 years
Twerking teen tragically dies after falling off hood of car

Read Full Story

People are Reading