Woman gets life-threatening infection after wearing hair tie on wrist

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
You Probably Won't Get an Infection From a Hair Tie


People have been wearing hair ties around their wrists for a long time. You never know when you're going to want to put up your hair -- having it around your wrist like a bracelet is is a quick and convenient trick.

But no one thought such a simple life hack could have such life-threatening consequences.

When it happened to Audree Kopp, she didn't believe it at first.



When the Kentucky woman first noticed a bump on her wrist, she told CBS Local that she didn't think much of it. Although her doctor gave her antibiotics, the problem only increased.

"It just kept getting bigger, and redder, and worse," Kopp said.

The nasty infection eventually landed her in the emergency room -- and not a moment too soon, Kopp said.





Dr. Amit Gupta, of Norton Healthcare in Louisville, believes that bacteria from one of her glittery hair ties had found its way under her skin, causing a "large abscess on the back of her wrist."

The doctor issued a warning to everyone who wears hair ties.



The Kentucky woman knows how lucky she is, according to WKLY.

"It could have been a whole different ball game," she admitted.



The survivor said she will no longer wear the hair accessory around her wrists and will make sure to clean them all. ​

RELATED: Dog Survives After Eating 62 Hair Ties:
Dog Survives After Eating 62 Hair Ties, 8 Pairs of Underwear


More from AOL.com:
8-year-old girl diagnosed with rare form of breast cancer
NFL player's random act of kindness towards family goes viral
Muslim girl pens powerful response to Trump's controversial comments

Read Full Story

People are Reading