Yale worker dies after nearly 50-foot fall down smokestack
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — A man working inside a smokestack on the Yale University campus in Connecticut died Saturday, after he fell from a ladder down into the chimney about 50 feet and became stuck at the bottom.
The man in his 50s was working to upgrade Yale's Central Power Plant around 10 a.m. on Saturday when he fell, according to New Haven Assistant Chief Matthew Marcarelli. The man was a subcontractor, Yale spokeswoman Karen Peart said.
The man's name was not immediately released, but fire officials said he was from Oregon.
Marcarelli said the man was stuck for an hour while crews worked to open the side of the chimney. They had to cut through a stainless steel liner to get him.
He was taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital where he died.
Peart said the university was providing support and counseling to anyone at Yale who was affected by the news.
"Yale extends its deepest condolences to the worker's family, friends and co-workers," Peart said.
University police and the U.S. Occupational Health and Safety Administration are investigating.
More from AOL.com:
Grateful Dead bassist Phil Lesh battling bladder cancer
Former producer of 'The View' suing Rosie O'Donnell
Why airplanes still have ashtrays in the bathroom