Only 6 percent of Americans correctly answered all 12 science questions from new trending quiz

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon



As science enthusiasts head back to the classroom after summer break or back to the lab after Labor Day Weekend, they're feeling refreshed and ready to jump back into the swim of things.To kick off the new season, the Pew Research Center has come up with 12 multiple choice questions that'll put even the best and brightest science fiends to the test.

In fact, only six percent of respondents to the quiz got all 12 questions correct. While the average number of correct answers was eight, only 26 percent scored 10 or higher. Take the quiz of 12 multiple choice questions here.



Here's an in depth breakdown of the results. 86 percent of Americans correctly identify the Earth's inner layer as its hottest part. In addition, 82 percent know that uranium is necessary to make nuclear energy and weapons.

The majority of Americans fell short, however, when asked to identify the property of a sound wave that determines loudness. Only 35 percent correctly answered amplitude, or height. The remaining 65 percent believed the answer to be frequency or wavelength.

An alarming 22 percent of Americans incorrectly stated that astronomy - not astrology - is the study of how the positions of stars and planets can influence human behavior.

Pew found that highly educated people scored higher than people with less education and that men answered more questions correctly than women. White people answered more questions correctly that black or Hispanic people and people ages 30-49 scored higher than all other age ranges.

In addition, 80 percent of adults ages 18 to 29 correctly identified radio waves as those used to transmit cellphone calls, while only 57 percent of adults ages 65 and older answered correctly. However, while 86 percent of adults ages 65 and older correctly identified the developed of the polio vaccine as Jonas Salk, only 68 percent of those ages 18 to 29 answered correctly.

It is important to note that these questions represented "only a small slice of science knowledge." Regardless, the results were pretty astonishing. Take the quiz yourself (now that we've given you a few of the answers) and see how you do!

Watch this video for more poll results from the Pew Research Center:

Survey: U.S. Adults Feel They Are Losing Control of Their Data

More from AOL.com:
3-year-old boy has adorable interaction with Texas cops
Police officer buys girl a new bike after hers was stolen
Man saves his kids, his meal, and gives the most epic interview of all time

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

From Our Partners