Promising Junior Olympian dies from brain-eating amoeba

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon
Texas Teen Dies From Brain-Eating Amoeba

A Texas teen who was infected with a brain eating amoeba has died.

Michael John Riley Jr., 14, was diagnosed with a lethal disease caused by a brain-eating amoeba. Doctors say the amoeba entered through the teen's nose and swam into his brain after he jumped into a freshwater lake in Sam Houston State Park on August 13th.

His family says a week later he fell seriously ill and was admitted to a hospital.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the amoeba, called Naegleria fowleri amoeba, is found in warm freshwater and soil. It typically enters through the nose and travels to the brain where it causes a condition known by the acronym PAM. The CDC reports that in the last 53 years, the amoeba infected about 130 people — and only three of those cases survived.

Michael's family posted on a supportive Facebook page, "Michael fought a courageous fight over the past week, allowing him to move on to be with the Lord for future heavenly tasks, a beautiful set of wings, and a pair of gold running shoes."

The family says it will continue to raise awareness about Michael's condition.

Check out some photos of dear Michael from his family's facebook page:

Michael Riley Jr., Houston teen who died from brain-eating amoeba
See Gallery
Promising Junior Olympian dies from brain-eating amoeba
(Photo via Facebook)
(Photo via Facebook)
(Photo via Facebook)
(Photo via Facebook)
(Photo via Facebook)
(Photo via Facebook)
(Photo via Facebook)

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

People are Reading