12 must-haves for a healthy summer glow
By The Beauty Experts at: L'Oréal Paris
- Use a gentle scrub to slough away dead skin cells on your face as well as your body. Be warned: The process also exposes a new layer of skin, which means you should be extra diligent with your sunscreen.
- A splash of hydrating facial toner -- specifically one with beta hydroxy acid -- will help remove any excess oil, or makeup or sunscreen residue, which tend to stick around even after cleansing.
- Once you’ve removed the dead skin cells and done your cleaning diligence, hydrate the fresh skin layer with a moisturizer to help boost your skin’s natural regeneration process. Try a multitasking formula like BB cream to add moisture and correct and even your skin tone at once.
- A golden tan is a summer essential, and we love it when we don’t have to risk our skin’s safety to get one. To create the perfect faux glow, we use self-tanning mousse. It’s super easy to apply and requires minimal drying time.
- Even a great base won’t protect you from sunburn. To keep sunscreen from smearing your newly self-tanned style, look for an oil-free formula that absorbs quickly. And don’t forget to reapply every 85 minutes for optimal protection!
- You know what they say: Beauty comes from within! Enhance your outer glow by noshing on foods heavy in carotenoids, such as watermelon, cantaloupe and mangoes, which help provide extra sun protection. These summertime favorites are not only powerful skin savers, but also healthy treats for a bikini-ready body.
Drink lots -- and we mean lots -- of water. It’s one of the least expensive and most effective ways to promote radiant, healthy-looking skin.
- Protect your peepers from the damaging effects of ultraviolet rays with a pair of oversize UV-blocking sunglasses, which will prevent against eye sunburn (yes, it’s a real thing) and irritation. Another perk: Sunnies keep you from squinting, which means less wrinkles.
- Just like your sunnies, an oversize floppy hat is an excellent form of sun protection. Look for wide-brimmed options without an open-weave design. You may also want to keep a baseball cap or a fedora in rotation for sportier endeavors like hiking, biking and running (even if it’s just errands).
- While your hair can’t get sunburned, the sun can still singe your scalp, damage your hair color and dry out your strands. Nourish your locks with a restorative oil spray. It helps hydrate and repair, in addition to giving you that oh-so-trendy wet-hair look you’ve been meaning to try.
- Light-colored face-framing highlights are one of our favorite ways to enhance a summer glow. But wait -- put down the lemons! Instead, grab an at-home ombre kit for sun-kissed strands
- There’s no easier way to give your complexion a boost than with blush. Dust a poppy pink shade on the apples of your cheeks for the most natural effect.
Whether you're a sun worshipper or a shade seeker, we've rounded up the ultimate tips, tricks and products to get you looking your best.
Click through the gallery above to see them all!