11 epic facts about your emotions
Emotion is a natural instinctive state of mind deriving from one's circumstances, mood, or relationships with others.
Often, emotion is linked with mood, temperament, and motivation. In some theories, cognition is an important aspect of emotion. Emotional intelligence is the ability to recognize one's own and other people's emotions, to discriminate between different feelings and label them appropriately.
Joy, sadness, fear, and anger are all emotions we face day-to-day. BuzzFeed rounded up 11 epic facts about these emotions:
1) People can detect a smiling face up to 300 feet away. Partially blind people can sense when someone close by is smiling.
2) Does happiness increase with age? A poll of 2,345 adults concludes that the people over the age of 65 were most likely to report being happy.
3) Laughter is, in fact, contagious. Brain scans show hearing laughter gets the brain to prep your facial muscles for laughing
4) You get stuffy when you cry because tears enter your nasal cavity through small eyelid holes.
5) The make up of tears is close to that of saliva
6) Women cry more than men. According to a 1980s study, women cry 5.3 times per month on average, while men cry 1.4.
7) Anger can make you sick. A 2009 study showed that angry people are more at risk for heart attacks.
8) Babies recognize anger. Kids as young as 7 months can tell the difference between an angry and happy face.
9) Fear can make you stronger.
10) Ordinarily, people only use about 65% of their muscular potential, but when faced with a fearful situation, it's possible for more to become unlocked.
11) People can really smell fear. Some scientists claim, the sweat people release when they're scared contains a pheromone that others can unconsciously sense.
What other facts do you know about your emotions?More from AOL.com:
People with this personality type are more likely to be a stay-at-home parent
20 warning signs you're burnt out at work
5 tell-tale signs he IS just that into you