Petco takes 'full responsibility' for dog's death in Midlothian, removes dryers from stores

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Petco Takes 'Full Responsibility' For Dog's Death, Removes Dryers From Stor


CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. — California-based Petco has taken "full responsibility" for the death of a dog named Colby at its Midlothian store last week. Colby's owner Allison Marks said Colby died after he was left in a dryer cage too long during a grooming appointment at the at Westchester Commons location.

While the investigation is on-going, Colby's family released the following statement.

"Colby's family would like to Thank everyone for all the continuous support and prayers during this difficult time."

Petco said Colby's death was the result of the store's animal care protocols not being followed.

"As a result, the individuals directly involved are no longer part of our company," Petco said in a Thursday statement. "While we've confirmed that no heat was used, and is not used in any of our grooming salon dryers, as an additional measure, the type of kennel dryer Colby was housed in has been removed from service in all Petco stores."

4 PHOTOS
Family Says Dog Died After Being Left in Drying Cage at Petco
See Gallery
Petco takes 'full responsibility' for dog's death in Midlothian, removes dryers from stores
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE
SHOW CAPTION +
HIDE CAPTION

Petco said it planned to retrain all groomers nationwide next week.

"As animal lovers, we're saddened and deeply concerned about what happened to Colby last Friday, and we're committed to doing everything in our power to prevent this kind of tragedy from ever happening again," the online statement indicated. "We take full responsibility for what happened in Midlothian, and remain heartbroken over Colby's untimely passing. Pet parents place their trust in us, and we realize that trust is earned. We understand there is no way to make up for the loss of Colby, and our thoughts continue to be with his family during this difficult time."

This is a developing story.

Here is the complete Petco statement:

At Petco, we know that pet parents entrust us thousands of times each day to provide quality care for their pets. To deliver on that promise, we have strict protocols in place to ensure the health and safety of all animals in our stores and grooming salons. As animal lovers, we're saddened and deeply concerned about what happened to Colby last Friday, and we're committed to doing everything in our power to prevent this kind of tragedy from ever happening again.

After a thorough investigation, it's clear our animal care protocols were not followed when it came to Colby. As a result, the individuals directly involved are no longer part of our company.

While we've confirmed that no heat was used, and is not used in any of our grooming salon dryers, as an additional measure, the type of kennel dryer Colby was housed in has been removed from service in all Petco stores.

We are also using this incident to reinforce our standards of care, and will be conducting nationwide sessions to reinforce this training with grooming salon team members in every Petco store next week.

We take full responsibility for what happened in Midlothian, and remain heartbroken over Colby's untimely passing. Pet parents place their trust in us, and we realize that trust is earned. We understand there is no way to make up for the loss of Colby, and our thoughts continue to be with his family during this difficult time.

Read Full Story

People are Reading