Minnesota teen dies after eating pancakes

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Minnesota Teen Dies After Eating Pancakes

A Minnesota family is suing a cafe after it served a fatal batch of pancakes to a teen with a severe dairy allergy.

Court documents explain that when 16-year-old Scott Johnson and his family went to the Minnesota Nice Cafe in Bemidji, his parents asked the staff if the gluten-free pancakes were also dairy free and if the grill could be cleaned before they were made.

Scott was born with a severe allergy to dairy and even the smallest traces of it could send him to the hospital.

His sister told WCCO, "Every time I picked something up while shopping with my parents I would look at the label and be like, 'Can Scott have this?'"

6 PHOTOS
Boy dies from pancakes because of dairy allergy
See Gallery
Minnesota teen dies after eating pancakes
Photo: GoFundMe
Photo: GoFundMe
Photo: WCCO
Photo: WCCO
Photo: WCCO
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE
SHOW CAPTION +
HIDE CAPTION

Scott's family says eating at restaurants was very rare because of his condition and this time he forgot to bring his EpiPen and nebulizer. After finishing his plate he began to go into shock.

WDAZ reports he was rushed home and his medicine failed to calm him down. Scott was airlifted to a hospital where he died three days later.

Now his family is holding the restaurant responsible for his death and the mounting medical bills. Friends and family set up a GoFundMe campaign. Scott's family says they hope his story will raise awareness of how serious allergies can be.

More on AOL:
Netanyahu promises no Palestinian state if he is re-elected
Man watches his fiancee pass out on Skype 700 miles away
Micheal Neeson opens up about the death of mom Natasha Richardson

Read Full Story

People are Reading