Central Indiana volunteer firefighter responds to fire, watches his own house burn

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon
Volunteer Firefighter Gets Unimaginable Call

SWAYZEE, Ind (March. 12, 2015) -- A Grant County firefighter was dispatched to a structure fire at his own house. James Trusty was forced to sit back and watch as his Swayzee home burned.

Trusty is a volunteer with the Swayzee Fire Department. He also works as a volunteer EMT. He's been thrown into just about every emergency situation you can think of–until last week.

"When I got here there was still visible flames," said Trusty.

The first responder and his wife Shawnna have a long road ahead, and they find themselves in an unfamiliar position.

"I'm supposed to be here helping people and now they have to come help me," said Trusty.

Swayzee firefighters aren't allowed to battle fires on their own homes, so Trusty was forced to watch his memories burn away.

"It's burning and there's literally nothing I can do. I know how to put out fires, but I just wasn't allowed to," said Trusty.

The home is a total loss after the fire, which investigators say was electrical in nature. The family now finds meaning in the smaller things.

"People stopping and just giving me a hug and asking if they can help," said Shawnna Trusty.

Family friends have started collecting clothes and set up a GoFundMe account for donations.

"I love Shawnna and James, I would do anything for them especially when something horrible like this happens," said Melissa Bennett, a family friend.

Also on AOL:
Veteran's baby photo called desecration of US flag
Blind therapy dog named Smiley will melt your heart
VA clinic turns away Veteran because of service dog

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

People are Reading