Lemon and Honey Ricotta Pancakes
Ingredients for the Pancakes:
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup ricotta
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cup SR flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 lemon's zest
- Separate the yolks from the eggs and place the yolks in one bowl and the whites another. Add the ricotta, milk, lemon zest, salt and honey to the bowl with the yolks and whisk until smooth, sieve the flour and gently whisk into the egg/ricotta mix.
- In a separate bowl with a clean whisk (electric if you don't want your arm to fall off) whisk the egg whites until they resemble stiff peaks. Dollop the egg whites into the ricotta mix a heaped tablespoon at a time and very gently fold the mixtures together until they are well combined but foamy and light.
- Heat a large frying pan on a medium heat and pop a little bit of butter in the pan to melt but not colour, dollop in a blob of batter into the pan and spreads it out a little with the back of a spoon. These pancakes work best a smaller sized cakes rather than the large traditions crepe style pancakes- make sure they are no larger than a CD.
- Let the cake bake in the pan until you see bubbles rise on the top of the batter, then flip and cook the other side for a minute or until the cake shifts in the pan when you shake it. I got 7 cakes from this mix so double it up to serve more people- I would serve 3 cake per person.
- Serve up with a little scrape of salted butter and a drizzle of lemon syrup.
- 1 lemon's juice
- 5 tsp sugar
- To make the syrup, squeeze the juice for the lemon into a small saucepan and add the sugar, heat until the mixture begins to bubble then turn to a medium heat and leave to reduce. This is a light syrup, not the consistency of golden syrup more like a runny honey, so stir it occasionally to see how thick it has become. When it is slightly thick but not darkened turn off the heat and pour into a jug or jar.
For the full post, visit Holly Likes to Cook.