Sangria Stuffed French Toast
Ingredients for Sangria:
Thick, hearty pieces of Italian Bread are soaked in a traditional egg and milk mixture and then stuffed with a fruit mixture including raspberries and peaches that have soaked overnight in a summer sangria. You want a reminder of a summer evening served at the breakfast table? This is your dish.
Serving Size: 4 | Prep Time: 15 mins | Total Time: 28 mins
- 1 750 mL bottle Gallo Family Vineyards Sweet White Blend wine
- 4 oz peach liqueur
- 16 oz frozen raspberries
- 16 oz frozen peaches
- 16 oz club soda
- In a large pitcher, add wine, peach liqueur and frozen fruit.
- Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to meld together.
- 8 1" slices Italian bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of nutmeg
- ½ cup peach preserves
- ½ cup raspberry preserves
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, all half of fruit from sangria with slotted spoon.
- Over medium heat, add peach and raspberry preserves and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together water and cornstarch and then stir into fruit mixture. When thickened, remove from heat.
- In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, milk, vanilla and nutmeg. Dip four slices of bread into mixture and place coated side down on a parchment or silicone mat covered baking sheet,
- Spoon fruit mixture on top of bread.
- Coat remaining four slices of bread in milk mixture and place coated side up over fruit mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes until lightly brown and then carefully flip to brown other side.
- Bake for an additional 6 minutes.
- Remove and plate immediately, serving with any remaining fruit mixture and powdered sugar.
For the full post, visit Melanie Makes.