The BBQ Porkabella
Looking for a great way to use up some leftover pulled pork? How about cooking pizza for meat lovers and vegetarians? Then The BBQ Porkabella is just the pizza you need!
Ingredients for the Pizza Dough:
- 1 cup and 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp dry yeast or 1 teaspoon active wet baker's yeast
- 3 ½ cup high-gluten flour (unbleached all-purpose is fine)
- cornmeal and flour for rolling the dough
- In the bowl of your mixer combine water, salt, sugar and oil. Whisk together by hand and add in the yeast. Quickly whisk, the immediately add the flour. Mix at medium speed using a dough hook for about 10 minutes or until a dough ball forms.
- Cut the dough ball into two equal sized balls and kneed the dough with your hands about ten times overs to get out any air bubbles. Once the surface is completely smooth, place the dough on a smooth surface and cover with a moist towel.
- Let sit out for a minimum of 2 hours to rise. If it is warmer in your kitchen, it will double in size faster, slower if it is cooler.
- 1 ½ lb pork shoulder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 8 wonton wrappers
- ½ cup vegetable oil for frying
- 4 portobello mushrooms, caps and stems cleaned and trimmed
- 4 oz porter or stout beer
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup green onion, chopped
- Rub the pork shoulder with salt and place ina dutch oven and bake in the oven at 325 degrees for 3 hours or until tender.
- Cut the wontons in ½ by 3 inch strips and place the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Shallow fry the wontons until crispy and set aside. Add more oil if necessary.
- Toss the portpbellos lightly in oil and grill until tender, about 4 minutes per side. Slice the stems in half and julienne. Cut the caps at a bias and julienne.
- In a saucepan, stir in the beer with the BBQ sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool and set aside.
- Roll each pizza dough out and apply rings of BBQ sauce evenly on the pizza, starting at the crust and working in.
- Cover half the pie with pulled pork and the other half with the portobellos.
- Add a line of BBQ sauce down the middle to designate which side is which.
- Top lightly with mozzarella and bake in a preheated oven at 500 degrees F. for 10-12 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and add the grated cheddar, wonton strips and green onions.
- Serve with extra BBQ sauce for dipping.
Notes: Recipe from Revolutionary Pizza by Dimitri Syrkin-Nikolau (Page Street Publishing, 2014) Printed with permission
For the full post, visit Girl in the Little Red Kitchen.