Oven Baked French Toast
Ingredients for the French Toast:
- 1 small loaf of your favourite bread, sliced or cubed (challah bread, or other fluffy, soft bread works best)
- 6 eggs (8 if using a large amount of bread)*
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 4 Tbsp milk or cream
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon sugar**
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- Place all of your bread in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat eggs with icing sugar until colour turns light yellow and mixture becomes fluffy.
- Whisk in milk (or cream) and vanilla. Pour over bread and toss to coat. Allow to sit until mixture is absorbed, about 10 minutes. This mixture can also be prepared overnight.*
- Grease a shallow, oven-safe dish with butter. Preheat oven to 325F. Lay bread mixture evenly into dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until bread is golden brown. Meanwhile, prepare caramel sauce.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- pinch sea salt
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, warm butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar and cream. Stir with a heatproof spatula in figure 8 motion, until sugar is dissolved. Continue cooking, stirring slowly but constantly, until mixture begins to thicken, about 6 minutes. Voila! Caramel!
- Pour sauce over hot french toast. Sprinkle with icing sugar or more cinnamon sugar just before serving.
- Eat & enjoy!
*If doing this overnight, increase the egg quantity to 8 to 10 eggs and the sugar to 1/3 cup.
** If you cannot find cinnamon sugar, make your own using equal parts of cinnamon to sugar.
For the full post, visit The Bacon Eating Jewish Vegetarian.