Pumpkin Spice Latte Mini Scones
This recipe is a tribute to one of everyone's favorite parts of fall: The pumpkin spice latte. The coffee glaze is the best part. And did I mention that they are part whole wheat?
Ingredients for Scones:
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- Heavy pinch salt
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ½ cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- ⅔ cup canned pumpkin
- 2 large eggs
- 4 Tbsp cream
- In a large bowl, sift the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice. Add in the cold butter cubes and cut in using a pastry cutter or a fork, until the mixture is mealy.
- Stir in the pumpkin, eggs and 2 Tbsp. cream until the dough comes together. Depending on the climate you live in, this might be enough to pull the dough together. If not, add more cream 1 Tbsp. at a time as you stir with your hands. The dough should not be sticky, but it also should not be dry.
- Form the dough into two equal discs and cut each disc pizza-style into six pieces, then place on a baking sheet. Bake at 450 for about 7-8 minutes, then drop the heat to 425 degrees for another 15 minutes.
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 2 cup powdered sugar (depending on your glaze)
- While the scones are cooling, add the brewed coffee to a saucepan and reduce on medium-high heat until the volume is just 1/4 cup. Create a glaze by stirring in the powdered sugar with a fork. Start with 1 cup, then add more by 1/4 cup increments until the glaze reaches your desired consistency.
- When the glaze is ready and the scones are cool, dip the scones in the glaze and allow the glaze to set up. The glaze will drip off of the edges, so make sure you put the scones on a surface you don't mind cleaning of sticky drippings, such as parchment paper or a silpat sheet.