10 Great Kid Gifts for Less Than $10
By Maryalene LaPonsie
Christmas is almost here. Are you ready yet?
If you're still looking for some extra stocking stuffers or cheap presents for the kids in your life, you'll definitely want to watch the video above. Money Talks News founder Stacy Johnson has some great gift ideas that cost practically nothing. Then keep reading for more inspiration.
1. Legos. I know. Some of you are freaking out at this suggestion. Holy moley, those babies are expensive, right? Well, sure, if you're going to buy the Millennium Falcon. But you can get plenty of fun little sets such as a surfer rescue or a Duplo caterpillar at regular or sale prices below $10.
2. Pack of cards. You can pick up a cheap pack of cards from virtually any dollar store or toy department in the country. They may cost only a couple dollars, but they come with the potential for hours of fun. For the younger set, look for games such as Old Maid or Go Fish that feature big numbers and bright graphics. Tweens and teens might like to receive a regular pack of cards and learn some grown-up games once the dinner dishes are put away.
3. Craft supplies. You could spend $20-plus on a bundle of craft supplies or you could make your own set for less than half the price. Head to the dollar store and look for construction paper, markers, ribbon, glue, beads and other crafty items. Arrange them in an inexpensive bin or basket and wrap it up with some wrapping tissue or cellophane for a fun and creative gift.
4. Temporary tattoos. There's something about temporary tattoos that children love. It's like being given permission to write all over yourself. You can find some stencil kits that will let kids make their own body art or for the non-artists, check out Monster Hands to combine tattoo mania with hand puppet fun.
5. Coupon book. You can't beat free, and you don't have to spend a dime to give your favorite kids a homemade coupon book full of little splurges. Coupons could be for an extra hour of screen time on the weekend, a night off from chores or having dessert before dinner one night.
6. Give an experience. Similar to a coupon book, you could give an experience. Younger kids might not quite grasp the concept behind this gift, so it might be best for those who are a little older. Put in a box or card a certificate entitling the child to a date with you. It could be taking your niece to see a matinee or fishing with your grandson. Either pick something you know they'll love or let them make the call – as long as it is within reason.
7. Makeup bag. For this one, if you aren't buying for your own daughter, you'll want to check with the parents first. However, if you get the green light, most girls love the chance to play dress-up and that includes experimenting with makeup. Pick up an inexpensive toiletry bag and stuff it with sample-size makeup items. If the girl in your life isn't quite old enough for makeup, you could include lotions, soaps or other bath items instead.
8. A share of stock. Not all kids will appreciate this one when it comes out of the box, but if you make a wise choice, they'll thank you later. Buy a single share of stock and wrap up a certificate in a box or card. Then, show them how to follow the stock value and explain that eventually that $10 gift might be worth a whole lot more.
9. Books. Some hardcover books can be pricey, but there are plenty that fall in the $10-and-under range. And you know what? Almost every kid loves some type of book. Even if they aren't the reading type, you can find Mad Libs, puzzle books or comic books that fit just about every level of interest.
10. Candy bags. Finally, you simply can't go wrong with candy. Mom and Dad might not be thrilled, but if you show up at the Christmas party with bags of candy for every boy and girl, we'll bet you'll be in the running as the favorite relative for everyone under age 18.
Those are 10 great kid gifts under $10, but they certainly aren't your only options. If you've given a cheap gift that was a super hit, tell us about it in the comments below or on our Facebook page.
The 7 Hot Toys Your Kids Will Want for Christmas This Year
10 Great Kid Gifts for Less Than $10
Discover More Like This
BACK TO SLIDE