10 Jobs That Scare American Workers the Most
By Debra Auerbach
Dressing up this Halloween? If you're going the scary route, forget about those monster, demonic clown or zombie costumes. No – if you want to strike fear in the hearts and souls of Americans, try trick-or-treating or attending your Halloween parties as a teacher, stand-up comedian or politician.
Or parents, save money on a costume and go as yourself. Because, truly, what's scarier than raising kids?
According to CareerBuilder's new survey, these are just some of the jobs that American workers fear the most. The following is the full list* of jobs they found the scariest:
1. Politician: There are 56,857 politicians/legislators in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $9.89
Scary for those who fear: Responsibility; accountability to a large number of people; rejection.
2. Microbiologist for infectious diseases: In general, there are 20,800 microbiologists in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $32.61
Scary for those who fear: Germs; Ebola; accidentally leaving the hazmat suit at home.
3. Security guard at teen pop idol concert: In general, there are 1,163,023 security guards in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $11.62
Scary for those who fear: Getting trampled by screaming tweens.
4. Kindergarten teacher: There are 158,084 kindergarten teachers (non-special education) in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $24.12
Scary for those who fear: Germs; temper tantrums; shaping the minds of America's youth.
5. Crime scene investigator: There are 128,432 detectives and criminal investigators and forensic science technicians in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $35.75
Scary for those who fear: Blood; the disappointment on people's faces when you tell them the job is nothing like it is on TV.
6. Animal trainer: There are 32,360 animal trainer jobs in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $12.03
Scary for those who fear: Animal attacks; allergy flare-ups.
7. Mortician: There are 27,505 mortician, undertaker and funeral director jobs in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $22.83
Scary for those who fear: Dead bodies; silence; zombie attacks.
8. Radio, cellular and tower equipment installer and repairer: There are 16,213 radio, cellular and tower equipment installer and repairer jobs in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $21.59
Scary for those who fear: Heights.
9. Stand-up comedian: There are 37,272 jobs in the entertainers and performers, sports and related workers industry, which include comedians, in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $16.89
Scary for those who fear: Public speaking; awkward silence.
10. Parent: There are too many parent jobs in the U.S. to count.
Median hourly pay: Not nearly enough.
Scary for those who fear: Almost all of the above fears.
The world's scariest job interview
While these jobs may frighten American workers, what's even scarier to many is the act of looking for a job. Watch this video to see just how fear-inducing the job search – especially interviews – can be.
*Employment data for each occupation from Economic Modeling Specialists Intl.
Find jobs | Post your resume