US may have identified man in beheading videos

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...

6 PHOTOS
isis beheader found
See Gallery
US may have identified man in beheading videos
FBI Director James Comey speaks during a news conference at the FBI Albany Field Office on Tuesday, Sept. 23, 2014, in Albany, N.Y. (AP Photo/Mike Groll)
FILE - In this Sept. 23, 2014 file photo, FBI Director James Comey speaks at the FBI Albany Field Office in Albany, N.Y. The U.S. believes it has identified the British-accented masked man in the videos depicting the beheadings of two American journalists and a British aid worker, the FBI director says. Comey told reporters at the bureau’s headquarters he would not reveal the man’s name or nationality. (AP Photo/Mike Groll, File)
WASHINGTON, DC - SEPTEMBER 19: Federal Bureau of Investigation Director James Comey addresses the Intelligence and National Security Summit at the Omni Shoreham Hotel September 19, 2014 in Washington, DC. After one year on the job, Comey outlined his vision for the future of the FBI, including a bigger focus on cyber and the creation of a new intelligence office within the bureau. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
WASHINGTON, DC - SEPTEMBER 19: Federal Bureau of Investigation Director James Comey addresses the Intelligence and National Security Summit at the Omni Shoreham Hotel September 19, 2014 in Washington, DC. After one year on the job, Comey outlined his vision for the future of the FBI, including a bigger focus on cyber and the creation of a new intelligence office within the bureau. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Director James Comey (L) talks with Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson as they testify before the House Homeland Security Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, September 17, 2014. AFP PHOTO / Jim WATSON (Photo credit should read JIM WATSON/AFP/Getty Images)
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE
SHOW CAPTION +
HIDE CAPTION

By KEN DILANIAN
WASHINGTON (AP) - The FBI director says the U.S. believes it has identified the British-accented masked man in the videos depicting the beheadings of two American journalists and a British aid worker.

FBI Director James Comey told reporters at the bureau's headquarters Thursday he would not reveal the man's name or nationality.

Comey did not address whether the U.S. believes the man actually carried out the killings himself. The full beheadings are not shown in the videos, but the British-accented, English-speaking militant holds a long knife and appears to begin cutting the three men, American reporters James Foley and Steven Sotloff and British aid worker David Haines.

In late August, British Ambassador Peter Westmacott said his country was close to identifying the Islamic State group militant.

8 PHOTOS
James Foley
See Gallery
US may have identified man in beheading videos
FILE - In this May 27, 2011 file photo American Journalist James Foley, of Rochester, N.H., poses for a photo in Boston. The parents of Foley, kidnapped in Syria more than four months ago, said Thursday April 4, 2013 that his latest disappearance is more upsetting than an earlier one in Libya because they don’t know who is holding him. (AP Photo/Steven Senne, File)

A screen grab from a video posted to YouTube by ISIS that claims to show journalist James Foley, who was abducted in 2012 while covering the Syria civil war, being beheaded.

(YouTube)

Journalist James Foley, of Rochester, N.H., responds to questions during an interview with The Associated Press, in Boston, Friday, May 27, 2011. Foley, who was working for the Boston-based GlobalPost while reporting on the conflict in Libya, was captured along with two others by Libyan government forces on April 5, 2011. Foley, American freelance journalist Clare Morgana Gillis, of New Haven, Conn., and Spanish photographer Manu Brabo were released by Libyan authorities last week. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)
FILE - This undated file still image from video released April 7, 2011, by GlobalPost, shows James Foley of Rochester, N.H., a freelance contributor for GlobalPost, in Benghazi, Libya. A Libyan government spokesman says four journalists detained since early April have completed an administrative hearing and will be released Tuesday or Wednesday.(AP Photo/GlobalPost, File)
FILE - In this Jan. 3, 2013 file photo, Diane and John Foley speak about their son, James Foley, 39, a journalist who was kidnapped in Syria by unknown gunmen on Nov. 22, 2012, during a news conference at their home in Rochester, N.H. James Foley disappeared while working for Agence France-Press in Syria. His parents do not know where he is or who is holding him. They are in Wisconsin for a Friday night, April 5, 2013 vigil for their son at Marquette University, where he studied history. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola, File)
John and Diane Foley, parents of journalist James Foley, are photographed at their home in Rochester, N.H., Wednesday, May 18, 2011 before holding a press conference about the release of their son. James Foley, a correspondent for the Boston-based news organization Global Post, was one of four western journalists freed Wednesday by Libyan authorities in Tripoli. (AP Photo/Cheryl Senter)
Journalist James Foley, of Rochester, N.H., responds to questions during an interview with The Associated Press, in Boston, Friday, May 27, 2011. Foley, who was working for the Boston-based GlobalPost while reporting on the conflict in Libya, was captured along with two others by Libyan government forces on April 5, 2011. Foley, American freelance journalist Clare Morgana Gillis, of New Haven, Conn., and Spanish photographer Manu Brabo were released by Libyan authorities last week. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE
SHOW CAPTION +
HIDE CAPTION


More on AOL.com
Iraqi PM: Terror attacks possible in US, Paris
Eric Holder set to step down as attorney general
Ferguson police chief apologizes to Brown family

Read Full Story

People are Reading