Weekend Superlative: Who made the most misguided decision?
By CHELSEA HUANG
Last week, we asked you who made the most embarrassing mistake: the man who opened his pizza box upside down or the organization that misspelled its own name. Sixty percent of readers polled voted for the man who thought his pizza was "just bread" before realizing he opened the box incorrectly.
This week brought us a heartwarming stories about random acts of kindness, like the police officer who is helping to rebuild a woman's home after it was burglarized, and the Indanapolis cop who offered a homeless man boots.
But two other stories came out this week that had us scratching our heads -- and really riled our readers up.
So we ask you: who made the most misguided decision this week?
The social media site that compared a baby to a zombie
Kevin Bond was outraged when Facebook banned a photo of his hospitalized 2-year-old, and compared the image to that of a "zombie" and "ghoul."
Bond created a Facebook community page to help raise the $75,000 the family needs for his son's heart transplant, and he tried to buy a $20 ad on the social media site to get the message out.
But Facebook rejected the ad, saying the photo Bond included of little Hudson lying in bed with tubes coming out of his nose, surrounded by stuffed animals, was, "scary, gory, or sensational and evokes a negative response." The message then reminded Bond of the rules, saying pictures of "ghosts, zombies, ghouls and vampires are not allowed."
Facebook apologized in a statement, but Bond says he only found about the apology through reading news reports. Bond is now raising money through the Children's Organ Transplant Association -- they have raised over $80,000 for little Hudson.
The fire chief who let go four firefighters for having American flags
The New Jersey firemen were relieved of their duties for refusing to remove patriotic flags from their lockers and helmets. Maywood Fire Chief Craig Bronaugh previously issued a memo saying all decals and stickers, including American flags and military stickers, be removed from lockers and helmets, citing a culture of racism in the department. He showed a picture of a monkey smoking a cigarette that was taped on a locker, to prove it.
"As a fire chief here, I cannot afford nor tolerate," he said.
But the firefighters, an African American, a Cuban and two white men, say the chief's allegation of racism couldn't be further from the truth -- that the picture in question is about ten years old and isn't even up anymore.
The chief says he has nothing against the American flag or veterans. He just wanted to make a blanket rule that covers everything. But the firemen said the flag should be "special and off-limits."
Who made the most misguided mistake?Cast your vote below: