Tony Stewart's return to race track ends early

BY PAUL NEWBERRY

HAMPTON, Ga. (AP) - Tony Stewart's return to the track has ended only a little over halfway through his race at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Stewart hit the wall for the second time after his right front tire blew out on lap 172, ending his night. Stewart drove his battered car to the garage and then exited without speaking to reporters.

His crew chief Chad Johnston said the 14 team was disappointed, but will now start focusing on next weekend's race in Richmond, Virginia.

"I wish we could have had a better effort and a better finish for him," Johnston said. "We'll go on to Richmond and hope we can do better there."

Stewart first went into the wall earlier in Sunday night's race following a collision with Kyle Busch, requiring work to the right side of his car.

"I went into today with some pretty good hopes of finishing well," Johnston said, adding, "It just didn't work out."

Stewart skipped three NASCAR Sprint Cup races after his car struck and killed a fellow driver in a dirt-track race in upstate New York. He decided to return this week, needing to win either at Atlanta or the next race at Richmond to claim a spot in the Chase.

The three-time champion received a big cheer when he was introduced before the race. Starting in the 12th spot, Stewart ran in the top 10 early in the race, getting as high as fourth.

Then, on lap 122 after a restart, Busch's No. 18 machine got loose coming out of turn 2 and banged into Stewart, sending both cars against the wall.

Stewart carried on but dropped back to 21st.

SHOOTER! September 01 2014 at 1:37 AM

I used to race those dirt tracks that were poorly lit. Get the facts. There was a car directly in front of Stewart who barely did manage to swerve and miss the kid, leaving Stewart no time to see the kid and miss him. If anyone was at fault, it was the inexperienced kid's fault. And it's for sure, I don't like Stewart for some of his antics... but facts are facts.

shadyobama August 31 2014 at 11:29 PM

I REALLY LIKE THE FACT THAT STEWART HAS THE RIGHT TO CRASH ANYONE ANYWHERE ANYTIME...

sjm10930 September 01 2014 at 6:51 AM

Granted, I'm usually pretty harsh on Stewart ever since running Sadler into the infield in 08, but ward was on foot, on the track, pointing at Stewart, walking towards stewart, not walking towards any kind of Safe area. I Do Not see any kind of intent on stewarts part to hit injure and or kill that kid. People on here spouting off about Stewarts "Antics" Murder is not an Antic, It was an Accident on Stewarts part and it was a really stupid move on Ward's part. I'm glad to see him back out on the track ,Everyone else out there welcomed him back as well, If Nascar or any driver there thought there was any kind of INTENTION to Kill, on Stewarts part Nascar would not allow him out there

jgws857 September 01 2014 at 3:53 AM

As I sit and read these comments - it sadness me that there are people who would say just about anything when they don't know **** - I don't know Tony but I do know racers - not a one of them would get out on the track with the intentions to harm others with that said - Tony I am glad your back I have missed you - Keep your head up and be assure that there are alot of people out here rooting for you - a fellow HOOSIER

mkraven77 September 01 2014 at 7:18 AM

Nice job "Killer"

SCOTT !!!!!!!! September 01 2014 at 2:34 AM

Tony was welcomed back by not only the field and his friends in the racing community. But also by the FANS. He was contrite in his interview on Saturday.He has a right to race again.Being without a wife and kids this is his home in a race car. This will be a great place for him to heal. Everyone as I am glad he is back. Glad to see you back Racing Tony.Those that are not know nothing about racing.

Craig SCOTT !!!!!!!! September 01 2014 at 9:28 AM

Without a wife and kids? What women would marry this creep, let alone let him impregnate her with his kind.

tequillasun41 SCOTT !!!!!!!! September 01 2014 at 4:17 PM

Tony Stewart would be a fine catch for any woman, but he's not out of a race car long enough to seriously look. You Craig are just jealous of his money and fame !

sboore47 tequillasun41 September 01 2014 at 11:13 PM

Sorry I stand corrected. At the beginning of last season they reported he was engaged and was planning a wedding in Feb after the end of the season.

Flag 0 rate up
gailneuman September 01 2014 at 3:05 AM

A higher authority was punishing him for killing an innocent driver 3 weeks ago, since the prosecutor was too chicken to charge him for murder. I hope he's sidelined for months. #nosympathyforstewart

phhardi8 September 01 2014 at 6:49 AM

Tony is never wrong. If he hits you, you were in his way. From the look on his face, his eyes. He just doesnt seem to have it anymore. Its taken its toll.

ExAZtential September 01 2014 at 10:34 AM

Everytime I see Tony surrounded by all the Bass Pro Logos, I think he must be a 'Master-Baiter'!

grgblnk1 ExAZtential September 01 2014 at 1:39 PM

Thought you held that title

j.pr3 ExAZtential September 01 2014 at 3:35 PM

Just what everybody wants to see - STUPIDITY in print!!!!

tatersalad03 j.pr3 September 01 2014 at 5:46 PM

There's a lot of that on here.

Flag 0 rate up
theomegaman72 September 01 2014 at 11:12 AM

On the positive side, at least he didn't kill anyone this time

tatersalad03 theomegaman72 September 01 2014 at 11:58 AM

Troll.

bcp6343 theomegaman72 September 01 2014 at 5:30 PM

lol good one

Anne bcp6343 September 01 2014 at 10:25 PM

You have a sick sense of humor.

Flag 0 rate up