Girl says H.S. band hazing ritual was terrifying

Girl Says HS Band Hazing Ritual Was Terrifying

"I did say I don't want to be here. They said just go along with it," an alleged hazing victim said.

KTLA reports: During band camp practice at Downey High School on Monday, this freshman says that some seniors did things to her that she didn't feel was right.

"They put bags over my friends' heads," she said. "They covered us with pads -- and put red marker to make it look used."

She says her arms were bound:

"They tied us up with tape. [We] couldn't do anything. My friend was screaming. I was scared too."

She goes on, "They said get on the ground and army crawl. They were hitting us with small broom things."

It goes on:

"They put music on and wanted us to twerk. [...] They squirted whipped cream tn our hair, clothes."

She was told it was an initiation to get into band -- and she told her mother about it.

"I'm pissed off. I'm a mama bear. Nobody hurts my cub," the freshman's mother said.

She reported it to school officials, who are now looking into it.

"She's 14. Who's gonna pay for her psychological damage," the mother asked in outrage.

She says roughly a dozen students were also harassed -- and it happened in the same area where other teams hold practice.

"They humiliated us. People were recording us and stuff," the freshman said.

According to her, some parent volunteers were there, but nobody put a stop to it. On campus Tuesday, most students and parents didn't want to comment.

"I got her into this to help her blossom and open up -- not to be tortured in some satanic hazing ritual," the freshman's mother said. "If this had been somebody off the street, they would have been arrested for abuse, for assault ..."

The district superintendent says that hazing and harassment are not condoned and proper disciplinary action will be taken, if necessary -- but couldn't comment further.

Also on AOL:
'The Hulk' statue owner explains why it's in his backyard
Firefighter saves tiny hummingbird, warms hearts
Film producer Charles Belk confused with bank robber, held for hours

aljoramaggio August 27 2014 at 2:59 PM

Hazing is one thing, but physically blindfolding someone with a bag over their head, and binding their arms/legs, while hitting them with broomsticks is called assault and battery, at any age, much less a minor.

I'd lawyer up, too, if this was done to my 14 year old child.

uriahheep7275 aljoramaggio August 27 2014 at 4:13 PM

Mama Bear looking for her payoff!

investigatorkch aljoramaggio August 27 2014 at 11:42 PM

just wanting money.......... kids are little geeks........ about 7 years old

metrokidz August 27 2014 at 2:26 PM

This is horrible. I was in band for 10 years and never had such harassment, nor did I harass others as an initiation. Band and other extracurriculars are suppose to be a place students can show their talents and flourish, not be terrified what others will do to them!

Acorn Tree metrokidz August 27 2014 at 4:24 PM

you didn't have any fun then. also I doubt any of what was said actually happened this sounds like just a lawsuit from this quote "Who's gonna pay for her psychological damage"

amesmanjeff0524 Acorn Tree August 27 2014 at 4:46 PM

Yeah, getting hazed sounds like a blast.

Flag 0 rate up
JAMES GUI Acorn Tree August 27 2014 at 8:35 PM

From little acorns mighty dumboes grow!

Flag 0 rate up
msmith6791 August 27 2014 at 2:31 PM

Taped her arms down and put bags on her head - and you think that is just real cutsy, cutsy? Some people have phobias. I will attempt to get these people in touch with a very good attorney and sue the hell of all of them: the school, the school board, the band, the band instructor, the teachers' association, the parents of all the kids - this is going to be a HEYDAY.........yup - a lot of people are going to pay for this.

investigatorkch msmith6791 August 27 2014 at 11:43 PM

big WUSS

ngcolby August 27 2014 at 2:33 PM

I thought hazing/school bullying was outlawed!! Hey parents watching...didn't have the guts to interfere???

erinjanespca August 27 2014 at 2:27 PM

"Satanic" ? How so? Psychological damage? They'll live. Not that I agree with what went on, but seriously, don't make it seem more than it is, either.

lv2213frs August 27 2014 at 2:57 PM

If you can't afford to put your children in small, private schools don't have kids. The public school system nationwide is a cesspool.

cptfritz August 27 2014 at 1:41 PM

Oh wow, we got hazed and will have mental damage forever. Poor babies

BRUCE August 27 2014 at 6:31 PM

These kids will be teased and tormented until they relocate to another school where they are not known, with video's showing up on utube. This isn't a college hazing..these are 14 year old children. Yes, I do think mom may be overeacting, but I can't say as I blame her.

investigatorkch BRUCE August 27 2014 at 11:46 PM

you think........... a little........you are a bigger wuss than she is............

dandydon255 August 27 2014 at 4:47 PM

You can only be harassed if you let yourself be !

Karen dandydon255 August 27 2014 at 7:08 PM

Really, where do you live? Mars?

racjaa dandydon255 August 28 2014 at 6:18 AM

I agree. Just say NO>

jaimecastro10 August 27 2014 at 5:15 PM

I think all this could've been stopped had there been a proper consent from the mother's whose children were involved. I experienced the whole initiation ordeal in HS and actually done some myself. At the end of the day there was nothing but good memories and laughter, and many more could agree. It's really hard to comment the actual hazing because it seems like there are a lot of holes in the story. How long did the hazing actually last? Was she physically hurt? Was there an incentive to the "assault" other than what was supposed to be a harmless prank? It's a shame they never took into consideration how that could be against her beliefs, but again, could've been prevented if the mother was notified prior. I do think some of the things done were inappropriate. The kids got what was coming. Pursue any further? No way. There are far worse hazing stories than this. I hope the mother can understand that nobodies perfect and we all make mistakes.

T Rock jaimecastro10 August 27 2014 at 11:45 PM

Yeah I'll hafta get a consent form from my mommy before you can say another word.