Experiences make us happy, even just waiting for them

Experiences Make Us Happy, Even Just Waiting For Them

Wait for it ... wait for it ... no, seriously, wait for it.

A new study focused on waiting and found out what really makes us happy. Here's how: It found people waiting to purchase experiences, like a trip or concert tickets, were more excited than those waiting to buy a material item, like a TV.

It's one of the more fun studies we've heard of -- it's even called "Waiting for Merlot."

The study came to two conclusions: First, that people get happy just anticipating what they're going to get. And second, people who were waiting to buy experiences got happier thinking about them than people waiting to buy material things.

The big takeaway?

"Experiential purchases (money spent on doing) tend to provide more enduring happiness than material purchases (money spent on having)."

To figure all this out, researchers asked college students about purchases they planned to make, and also worked through trackyourhappiness.org.

They also looked at newspaper articles about people waiting in line for things to see how those people were behaving.

This is, dare we say, in line with what other research has shown us about happiness.

Some studies have shown that some of the poorest countries in the world have the happiest people -- and there's a cap on the happiness money can bring.

A 2010 poll of Americans showed the happiness level plateaus at a $75,000-a-year salary. Make more than that, and you have more stuff, but no more day-to-day happiness.

If you want a little tip on puttin' a smile on your face: lots of research has shown that giving makes people happy.

So, wait in line, buy those concert tickets, and give one to a friend? Enjoy the joy.

This video contains photos from Getty Images.

Also on AOL:
Panda may have faked pregnancy to get special treatment
CBS responds to lawsuit over farting hippo featured on 'NCIS'
'The Hulk' statue owner explains why it's in his backyard

jimandbeth111 August 28 2014 at 8:37 AM

HMMM... $75,000 is the optimum income for happiness? People in poor countries are happier? Are we hearing a little socialist propaganda thrown in there?

lavalamplounge August 28 2014 at 10:48 AM

I am most happiest when I made another peron happy!

kimmer0310 August 28 2014 at 10:17 AM

This is why it's important to DO things with your kids instead of continuously BUYING them things.

dhsdome August 28 2014 at 7:59 AM

The experience of waiting for the next government check makes liberals happy.

savannahswithgod dhsdome August 28 2014 at 9:20 AM

I know it makes me happy but then I put the money in and can't I help it this society has drove me stark raving mad. I even got a Alien Hand so things from beyond have arrived. No guns though. A SS daggar. A copy of a MP 40 . I was a Nazi soldier in WW2 before this incarnation. Was I crazy then for following me Messiah Mr. Hitler? Got a cat named that now. Just showed up one day to join the herd. He's got as black over his eye as Hitler would comb his hair to the side. Mr. Hitler, we ready to make the move today and take over Amerika and turn it into SS Amerika? Now if that Lord (2005) drops back in, a different question then 'how to pray'.

Malinda Wilson Smith savannahswithgod August 28 2014 at 11:05 AM

What exactly are you on?

Flag 0 rate up
annet1951 August 28 2014 at 8:56 AM

Waiting to experiance or to purchase something does bring temporary joy. After the experiance or purchase, there is that let down that it is over. That will not happen if you accept the free gift of Heaven that is offered to everyone. The joy will be eternal.

savannahswithgod annet1951 August 28 2014 at 9:15 AM

I must of really got off on the Joy then when the Gran Turismo car series kept coming out cos they would push the date back and back. The greatest joy now. I think that was sitting at work on a picnic table after 24 years and saying to myself 'I can't do this no more' but I did not know why. 2 weeks later fired. Maybe the saddest is taking a sick kitty to the vet. They got the problem fixed but they had put it to sleep and it didn't come out of that sleep. I had joked with the vet about that , 'what if she don't wake up'. So then back and home to bury 'Eni and when I pulled her out of the box she was in she still had a IV tape to her arm (front leg). I thought to myself how beautiful. Reincarnation, the Lord, 2005.

flhxs August 28 2014 at 1:02 PM

They didnt interview me as waiting in line for anything just pisses me off...I am the most happy just before and during orgasm with a hottt women especially if she is having a Big O at the same time :o)

mercymfa August 28 2014 at 3:08 PM

True happiness you only will find it through Jesus Christ.
And He loves you all the time, that God laid His life down for all of us.
There are many things that makes us happy here on earth but it is just temporary, but God's love is forever.
Love one another as He loved us.
God bless you all.

mercymfa August 28 2014 at 3:10 PM

PS
Many people with wealth have taken their life cause they werent happy, even though had it all, at least we thought.

dexrmerritt August 28 2014 at 4:28 PM

Happy is an emotion that you can turn on anytime and turn it off anytime..an emotion that strong minded individuals handle...joy on the other hand is an inside matter that one cherishes...

adika3z August 28 2014 at 7:27 PM

hello buyers people.
dont be foolish waste buying anythings for no reason / nothing.
dont be waste currencys.
thinking about good wise bills / budgets.
dont be foolish to waste pays.