Metro Boston drivers named the worst in America, again

By RYAN GORMAN

Drivers in multiple Massachusetts cities have been ranked the worst in America by Allstate Insurance.

Worcester and nearby Boston have been ranked the most accident-prone cities in the country for 2014. The safest is Fort Collins, Colorado.

The annual ranking of best and worst drivers put out by the insurance company ranks cities by average years between accidents, accident likelihood against the national average, population, city density and weather.

None are worse than Massachusetts, for two years running.

Worcester drivers have accidents every 4.3 years, are 134.8 percent more prone to smash up their cars against the average American and have the worst weather in the country, Allstate claims.

This is the second year in a row that Worcester has been the most dangerous place to drive in the U.S.

They are the only motorists ranked lower than Boston, a town whose drivers are derisively called "Mass holes" for their propensity to jump curbs, cut others off, ignore traffic signs and signals, and pavement markings.

Drivers in Washington, D.C. save Massachusetts from claiming the three worst spots, but Springfield, in the western part of the state, and Providence, Rhode Island, round out the bottom five.

New York drivers, notorious across the country for their aggressive lane changes and propensity to hit the gas as people try to cross streets, ranked 45 spots lower than Worcester, at 155th.

The Big Apple dropped 17 places from last year, but drivers in "the city so nice they named it twice" are only 28.8 percent more likely to be in accidents than the national average.

Drivers in Fort Collins, Colorado, were named the best in the nation.

Click through this gallery of the nation's best drivers:

They are in accidents only once every 14 years and are nearly 30 percent less likely to be in pile ups than the national average.

This means they are nearly 200 percent less likely to be in accidents than their awful-driving Worcester counterparts.

Brownsville, Texas, drivers were named the second-best. Boise, Idaho, came in third. Kansas City, Kansas, came in fourth and Huntsville, Alabama, rounded out the top five.

Large cities tend to not do well on Allstate's rankings. The best ranked major metropolitan area is Phoenix, Arizona – in 79th.

The biggest drop came to Newport News, Virginia. The coastal town's ranking plummeted from number one last year to only 48th this year.

But that still does not even come close to approaching the incompetency on metro Boston's roads.

Beantown drivers there are so bad that Boston.com offered up the following advice to motorists involved in a never-ending mass of pile ups.

"Follow the golden rule: blame someone else."

More from AOL.com:
Where Do The Worst Drivers In The U.S. Live?

Related links:
You have to see this before summer is over
Where does your state stand on marriage?
10 surreal images of Earth shot by a high-definition satellite

bostonpd203 August 27 2014 at 9:16 AM

You really gotta be joshing me. You have not seen the worst drivers until you come to South Florida. Here, they beat all other states. Some of their favorites are driving in the left lane of the expressway and lane passing to the first right lane to exit. Driving on peoples lawn to get in the next lane. Driving with NO directional. Driving without a license. Stopping in the middle of the road to dial their cell phone. Driving into store windows. Yes. Driving into homes Yes. These are SOME of their habits. I'll think of more. Can you beat my list?

rwitchwoman63 August 27 2014 at 8:21 AM

Well if you aren't sure Boston drivers are nuts just go there, and you will see....I dare You!!!!

skatulaki3 August 27 2014 at 2:10 AM

Boston is the worst place in the country to visit. I went to a seafood rest in sight of the bandshell for the orchestra, waited an hour, got pissed and left. Went to the bar that popularized Cheers, got ran out of empty seats 3 times was told they were reserved, not one of the waitresses asked if we'd like a beer, and the bloody mary mix sucked. Went to Plymouth Rock and all the other history. Its the least hospitable places i have ever been to, and will never go again. Now NYC when i went there I fully expected to get mugged so I stashed money in various places. Damn it was one of the friendliest places i've ever been, instead of being invisible like Boston, everybody was very nice even in questionable areas like Little Italy. I wouldn't mind spending a couple years living there. Boston FU !

Sally August 27 2014 at 9:25 AM

Since I moved from Massachusetts to Maine I have noticed what terrible drivers those Massholes are! (I might add that the Connecticut drivers drive like maniacs while they are here.)

ickster01 Sally August 27 2014 at 8:31 PM

Though I agree that Mass drivers are horrible....and I grew up there and spent most of my life there....someone from Maine shouldn't complain. Everyone from Maine and Vermont drives 10-15 miles below the speed limit. I live in NC now and honest to god...was behind a drive with Maine plates going 25 in a 35! Wonder how many days it took him to get down here.....

candoauto1 August 27 2014 at 6:34 AM

I am totally shocked that Las Vegas wasn't on the worst. I have never seen such crappy driving in my life. There is an accident on every corner 24 hours a day. I was at a red light, and a driver blew their horn at me to go through the light. I mean really, they suck BAD!

georgeh candoauto1 August 27 2014 at 12:03 PM

Las Vegas is by far the worst. Everyone runs the red lights, if you get a green light, you better wait three or four seconds, because there will be cars still coming and turning on red.drunks everywhere day and night. accidents on every corner is correct.

mark and sheri August 27 2014 at 2:02 AM

Fort Collins. BEFORE legal marijuana.

eric mark and sheri August 27 2014 at 8:46 AM

Accidents are down where MJ is legal.

ga7smi August 27 2014 at 2:33 AM

"Minnesota Nice" is at its best on the highway - rudest drivers I have ecountered - then there are the motorcycles - unbelievable jerks

jdhegnes ga7smi August 27 2014 at 10:12 AM

Try Southern California, with its idiot policy of lane-splitting for motorcycles. I was there for three months this summer and only saw one bad motorcycle accident, a lane-splitter.

jockey01 August 27 2014 at 9:03 AM

been there done that. it seems like the average car is 15 yrs old, and they're driving like they were in a demolition derby. i love boston but...these people should ride the bus.

Kate August 27 2014 at 12:35 AM

I've never had any problem driving in my hometown (NYC), but I will certainly admit it takes a certain amount of nerve. The trick is to not get intimidated and simply stay where you are, instead of letting other drivers push you around. Even cab drivers, whom I will readily agree often drive like maniacs, will not actually hit you if you simply flip them the bird and stay in your lane, speeding up as necessary to not give them an opening to cut you off. Their cab is their livelihood: they can't afford accidents and the points.

notapclib Kate August 27 2014 at 11:23 AM

In Detroit, what you describe is called "offensive" driving.... its something that anyone trying to operate a motor vehicle in any urban area must do to survive. Funny how the rest of the nation engages in "defensive driving" yet urbanites are "offensive....."

Kim August 27 2014 at 2:34 PM

& I can add my city & state...Mankato, MN. What confuses me is seems like half the year we have winter like conditions and that is bad enough for driving but right now when conditions are the best, drivers are at their worst. Just Monday there were 3 accidents on the same highway within minutes of each other-driving too fast, stopping short and driving to close to the car in front-so goofy-my most unfavorite driver move is like today going home for lunch-2 lanes same direction but the 'clown' 2 cars in front of me stops and signals to go into the right line which is all traffic-stops and we all have to stop so he can maneuver into the other lane-you think his turn must be coming up and poor planning on his part, NO he just wanted to get in the other lane for when he had to turn right a 1/2 mile away!

World Series