Billy Crystal remembers Robin Williams at Emmys

Billy Crystal's Tribute To Robin Williams At The 2014 Emmys

BY JAKE COYLE

Billy Crystal, left speechless by Robin Williams' death, paid tribute to his great friend and comedy brother at the Emmy Awards, movingly remembering him as "the greatest friend you could ever imagine."

Following the Emmys' in memoriam segment Monday night, Crystal appeared on stage at Los Angeles' Nokia Theatre to honor Williams, who was found dead in his Northern California home on Aug. 11. A luminous image of the late comedian hovered overhead.

"He made us laugh, big time," said Crystal.

After Williams' apparent suicide, Crystal simply wrote on Twitter of his longtime friend and Comic Relief co-host: "No words."

But Crystal found touching words to remember Williams on Monday, recalling family gatherings, ballgames and nights on stage together.

"I used to think if I could put a saddle on him and stay on him for eight seconds, I was gonna do OK," said Crystal of the famously frenetic stand-up.
Though he spent most of his career in stand-up and in movies, Williams' early break came on television as the extraterrestrial Mork in "Mork & Mindy." He was nominated for an Emmy in 1979 for the show, as well as for various comedy specials and dramatic guest spots on shows like "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" and "Homicide: Life on the Street." He won two Emmys in the 1980s for variety specials.

One of Williams' last credits was the CBS sitcom "The Crazy Ones," which was canceled in May after one season.

"It's very hard to talk about him in the past because he was so present in all of our lives," said Crystal. "For almost 40 years, he was the brightest star in our comedy galaxy. The brilliance was astounding, the relentless energy was thrilling."

Williams was in the thoughts of many Monday night. Louis C.K., who won for comedy series writing for his FX series "Louie," said Williams wrote to him after the show started and invited him over to his house.

"We became close," said C.K. "He was a big influence on me as a person and comedically."

Crystal concluded his remembrance by saying Williams' bright spirit would eternally glow: "And you'll think to yourself: Robin Williams, what a concept."

More from the Emmys:
Red carpet lovebirds: Aaron and Lauren among glowing Emmy couples
2014 Emmy moments that made us go 'hmm?'
Fallon, Colbert's bromance lives on

Anne Boleyns Crown August 26 2014 at 7:16 AM

Williams had family, friends, money, a career and even he lost the battle to depression. Can we please stop ignoring and ridiculing this terrible disorder that so many suffer from and maybe throw some money at it like we do for erectile disfunction? I remember my friends mother being a real witch about those who SUFFER from depression and I snapped at her, Hey, just because you can't point to it on a xray or remove it with surgery doesn't mean people don't die from it every day. If you know someone who needs to talk, talk to them. Don't make them feel worse. Find a way to help them if you can.

CherMoeLin August 26 2014 at 6:44 AM

What a sad loss to his family, friends and to all of humanity as a whole. Some people really leave their mark on people and on the world simply by their presence, their humanity and their rays of sunshine. He will forever be remembered with love by the world.

slinebe10p August 26 2014 at 6:33 AM

Its sad when you can't find the help you need to survive the pain you are suffering. But the more he gave us in laughter the more I think he hurt

jba0226 August 26 2014 at 7:03 AM

Williams does glow brightly even to those of us who didn't know him personally

surrybuckeye August 26 2014 at 8:09 AM

Thank you, Billy Crystal, for your heartfelt words. No one else could have better conveyed such a moving tribute. You sir, are one classy fellow.

Caludia August 26 2014 at 6:44 AM

Please, please no more Robin Williams or I will hang myself he had the means and the time to get himself help and obviously he didn't self indulgent to the end he's dead people get over it

jcraft757 August 26 2014 at 7:48 AM

I watched it last night, and... "No words." Rest in peace, Robin Wiliams... Godspeed.

Kathy Lee jcraft757 August 26 2014 at 9:03 AM

The only reason that I watched the Emmy's was to hear Billy Crystal's deep and wonderful words for Robin. Robin is and was an amazing man, all the way around. I'm blessed to have had the priviledged of being alive to have experience his laughter and love in my lifetime.

JoAnn Kathy Lee August 26 2014 at 10:10 AM

I too watched only b/c of the tribute,I cried ...it's just so hard to believe still ,one of those people you expected to live forever..RIP Robin

Flag +2 rate up
phpoling August 26 2014 at 7:57 AM

I hope that Robin Williams had find his peace at last

Christopher phpoling August 26 2014 at 8:11 PM

well he is dead

mvnup August 26 2014 at 6:30 AM

Well at least it was his choice instead of someone killing him or dying from a horrible disease.

Carl August 26 2014 at 6:56 AM

I have no tolerance for people that take their own lives! The God lord saw fit to give you life and it's not up to you to take it! Move on.....

World Series