USC's Shaw jumps from second floor to save nephew

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Southern California senior cornerback Josh Shaw injured both ankles after leaping from a second-story balcony to save his 7-year-old nephew, Carter, from drowning in a pool.

Shaw was named a team captain on Saturday and later that night was attending a family function at a cousin's apartment in his hometown of Palmdale when he saw his nephew, who can't swim, struggling in the pool.

With no one around, Shaw told USC's website that he instinctively jumped from the balcony onto the concrete below and crawled to the pool, where he pulled Carter to safety. Unable to step out of the pool because of the pain in his ankles, Shaw lifted himself up the ladder with his upper body.

"I would do it again for whatever kid it was, it did not have to be my nephew," Shaw told the team website. "My ankles really hurt, but I am lucky to be surrounded by the best trainers and doctors in the world. I am taking my rehab one day at a time, and I hope to be back on the field as soon as possible."

Shaw was taken to the hospital where he was diagnosed with two high ankle sprains and will be out indefinitely. He said Carter was traumatized, but physically in good shape.

"That was a heroic act by Josh, putting his personal safety aside," Trojans coach Steve Sarkisian said. "But that's the kind of person he is. It is unfortunate that he'll be sidelined for a while and we will miss his leadership and play, but I know he'll be working hard to get back on the field as soon as possible."

USC's Josh Shaw Out Indefinitely

PURKASZ August 25 2014 at 10:44 PM

OK!!!!!!!!!!! Now why isn't this guy celebrated and on TV with Interveiwers and Al Sharpton supporting the positive nature of this youg man??? Ya, right!!!
This is the very heart of our problem with race in this Country. It's only covered if it underlines the inequality of something never the success...only the failure. "The fault dear Brutus lies not in the stars but in ourselves." Congrats young man. I'd like to have you on my staff. I don't care that you may not know what to do but I do know that you can and will learn because that is your nature. Onwards folks and let's get off the color line and the fascination with demogogues like Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.

TnT August 25 2014 at 10:47 PM

What a guy!!! God bless him. I hope his ankles mend quickly.

FlyerHockeyPride TnT August 26 2014 at 12:37 AM

Absolutely! Hope for that too and I'm a Michigan fan too! :-)

bradleythelma TnT August 26 2014 at 2:34 PM

Yes, I hope that Shaw has a very speedy recovery.

samedayrepo August 25 2014 at 11:58 PM

Dude is caring, huge heart and bad as$, snaps the ankles crawls to pool gets the kid out and does even think twice about his football career.

Doing the right thing is not negotiable!

Way to go Josh, I hope kids and adults see your true example of being brave and caring without a second thought!

Hope you heal up fast

James L Aldrich samedayrepo August 26 2014 at 3:41 PM

Sources: Josh Shaw was involved in an incident involving domestic abuse & jumped off a 3rd story window while running from LAPD. #USC

elobel1044 August 25 2014 at 11:28 PM

A true American Hero!

gnobie01 August 26 2014 at 1:22 AM

GREAT JOB!!! GET BETTER SOON JOSH

RiverBoatQueen August 26 2014 at 1:34 AM

This beautiful young man saved his nephews life and almost lost his in the process. I commend his bravery and I pray to God that he heals in record time. Godspeed to you, dear Mr. Shaw. I wish you all the best. X O

msmith6791 RiverBoatQueen August 26 2014 at 5:18 AM

Why is 7 yr old swimming alone in the pool - where is the person who ALLOWED THAT? It is illegal.

keithj77441 msmith6791 August 26 2014 at 6:32 AM

but its not a violent crime----lol

Flag 0 rate up
Carol August 26 2014 at 9:31 AM

The epitome of selflessness. He just earned the title of Uncle Hero! Get well soon. What a guy!

buckolieo68 August 26 2014 at 12:24 AM

I guess the White guy that pulled a "Black grand mother and her grand child" out of a car and then when he went back for the kids pillow cat ... The car exploded... Now he is in DUKE Med Burn unit>> guess he was just Stupid not a HERO.. Oh WHITE people helping Black people is non-Heroic...But just because that White Man went to help two BLACK people he may loose his life.. But THIS CRAP IS NEWS

Robert Leonetti August 26 2014 at 10:23 AM

I BET THIS YOUNG MAN DOESN'T WONT CRY DISCRIMINATION. HE WILL PUSH AND WORK HARD AND I PREDICT HE WILL BE A TOTAL SUCCES IN HIS LIFE. WE SHOULD ALL BE PROUD OF HIM. GOD BLESS HIM AND HIS PARENTS FOR GIVING US SUCH A GREAT AMERICAN.

James L Aldrich Robert Leonetti August 26 2014 at 3:41 PM

pagebassman August 26 2014 at 1:35 AM

Not a USC fan at all, but I applaude you Mr. Shaw You desreve more props than you will get

World Series