Female Fort Lee shooting suspect dead from self-inflicted gunshot wound, Army says

By RYAN GORMAN

The female soldier who shot herself Monday morning at Fort Lee has died at a Richmond hospital, the Army has confirmed.

The female suspect died at Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center after being rushed from the base with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, officials said.

She was rushed from the base just before 10:00 a.m. after barricading herself inside an office in the CASCOM building near the center of Fort Lee, said the Army.

Fort Lee 'All Clear' After Suicide Attempt Causes Lockdown

The unidentified woman entered the building at around 8:45 a.m., flashed a gun and barricaded herself inside an office and refused to come out.

Negotiators pleaded with her to emerge from the office, but she instead turned her firearm on herself, authorities said.

"A female soldier turned her weapon on herself and fired one shot into herself," a Fort Lee spokesperson confirmed to AOL News.

The female soldier was the only person wounded in the incident. Her name is being withheld until at least tomorrow to allow time for her loved ones to be notified.

Authorities issued a lockdown notice just after 9:00 a.m. for all people on the base to shelter in place. The lockdown order was lifted at 9:50 a.m.

"All personnel should enact active shooter protocols immediately. The installation is being locked down until further notice," the Army said in a statement.

The shooter was reportedly in the CASCOM headquarters building. The U.S. Army Combined Arms Support Command conducts arms research and development for the military.

People were allowed to resume their daily activities on the base, but were barred from entering the CASCOM HQ.

CASCOM headquarters is a four-story building in the center of the base, a military spokesperson told AOL. Fort Lee is in central Virginia, about 30 miles south of Richmond.

About 34,000 people live on the sprawling base. It was not immediately known how many work inside the CASCOM building.
Fort Lee on Lockdown After Report of Active Shooter

Related links:
Syrian official warns US: No unilateral airstrikes
Obama orders review of U.S. police use of military hardware

my_opinion_is August 25 2014 at 10:46 AM

Really AOL executives? There is a shooting going on at a US military base, and your very first---#1 story is about Beyonce putting on a show being half naked again? Really???

furchaserdave August 25 2014 at 11:04 AM

how pathetic can AOL be? this isn't a Fort Lee shooting, this is a suicide attempt. anything to spin it as another shooting huh? these freaking liberal media people are beyond pathetic.

donrahilly August 25 2014 at 11:01 AM

Obama had better send two or three WH reps over there to calm things down. I have never in my life been more disappointed in the idiocy of the WH. Even Nixon was brilliant compared to this guy. And more honest.

Kate August 25 2014 at 11:09 AM

Poor woman. She must have had some bad problems to do that, but I'm glad that apparently there are no other injuries.

rh1216 August 25 2014 at 11:22 AM

Spent a total of 2 years there from 1968 to 1970.....It was a fine base with good facilities. Captain Hill, US Army Quartermaster 1968 through 1972. Hope the soldier survives and get's needed help. God Bless the USA.

Randy August 25 2014 at 11:13 AM

"Active shooter"? You can't be serious! This isn't "news"! Please.....no fanning of the flames!! This is ridiculous.

LewTag August 25 2014 at 11:10 AM

Poor girl....I wonder what problems she was unable to handle...I wish I could help her....but I cannot even help my own daughter...

sealtheborder12 LewTag August 25 2014 at 11:16 AM

People have to WANT the help........

Dr. Cal Harris LewTag August 25 2014 at 12:14 PM

My heart goes out to her. She is obviously in great crisis that might have nothing to do with the military. She is obviously badly hurt and was and "active shooter" against herself.
My sincere prayers go to her and her family. I do volunteer work six days per week (about 90 minutes per session) trying to pass on my experience and insight to people suffering from stress and addictions (and their affected family members). As a retired Navy chief petty officer, I feel that it is still my duty to try and help in some small way. We get a lot of "suicide" stories where the event was prevented by someone that simply sat and listened with an experienced ear. Wish I could have listened to her problems a few days ago.

skitzlpk August 25 2014 at 10:58 AM

So much wasted energy by these random shooters.

They should reset their coordinates more in line with the DC area.

The target environment is far richer & far more deserved than the working men & women of our armed services.

Oh my, I guess I shouldn't have said that but my heart leads me around unwittingly at times..

Karen August 25 2014 at 6:04 PM

Wow! Whenever I think the AOL trolls can sink no lower, you always do.

Linda Jones August 25 2014 at 11:51 AM

You have to be a pretty lousy shot to try to kill yourself with a gun and miss.