Woman who drank toxic tea released from hospital

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Woman who drank toxic tea released from hospital
FILE - This Aug. 14, 2014, file photo, shows a sign at Dickey's Barbecue Pit in South Jordan, Utah. As prosecutors mull whether charges are warranted against employees at the Utah restaurant where a woman nearly died after unknowingly drinking toxic tea, the woman's husband and son are set to talk publicly Thursday, Aug. 21, 2014, about her recovery. Authorities say a worker unintentionally put a chemical cleaning compound containing lye in a sugar bag last month. The substance ended up in Harding's glass of iced tea after an employee mixed it into a beverage dispenser. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer, File)
FILE - In this Aug. 14, 2014, file photo, attorney Paxton Guymon holds a photograph of Jim and Jan Harding during a news conference in Salt Lake City. Jan Harding, 67, who nearly died after unknowingly drinking iced tea mixed with chemicals has been released from a Salt Lake City hospital. Harding has been slowly improving since Aug. 10, when she drank a single sip of sweetened iced tea at Dickey's Barbecue in South Jordan, a Salt Lake City suburb. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer, File)
Attorney Paxton Guymon holds a photograph of Jim and Jan Harding following a news conference Thursday, Aug. 21, 2014, in Salt Lake City. Jan Harding, 67, drank sweet tea containing a toxic cleaning chemical, severely burning her mouth and throat at a Utah restaurant after an employee mistook the substance for sugar and mixed it into a dispenser. Harding is listed in good condition at a Salt Lake City hospital as she continues to improve. Authorities say a worker at Dickey's Barbecue in South Jordan unintentionally put the chemical cleaning compound in a sugar bag last month. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)
FILE - This Monday, Aug. 18, 2014, file photo, shows a sign displayed in the window of Dickey's Barbecue Pit in South Jordan, Utah. As prosecutors mull whether charges are warranted against employees at the Utah restaurant where a woman nearly died after unknowingly drinking toxic tea, the woman's husband and son are set to talk publicly Thursday, Aug. 21, 2014, about her recovery. Authorities say a worker unintentionally put a chemical cleaning compound containing lye in a sugar bag last month. The substance ended up in Harding's glass of iced tea after an employee mixed it into a beverage dispenser. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer, File)
Jim Harding speaks about his wife, who drank sweet tea containing a toxic cleaning chemical, severely burning her mouth and throat at a Utah restaurant after an employee mistook the substance for sugar and mixed it into a dispenser during a news conference Thursday, Aug. 21, 2014, in Salt Lake City. Jan Harding, 67, is listed in good condition at a Salt Lake City hospital as she continues to improve. Authorities say a worker at Dickey's Barbecue in South Jordan unintentionally put the chemical cleaning compound in a sugar bag last month. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)
Dickey's Barbecue Pit is shown Thursday, Aug. 14, 2014, in South Jordan, Utah. Police say a woman was in extremely critical condition after drinking sweet tea laced with an industrial cleaning chemical at Dickey's Barbecue Pit. South Jordan Police Cpl. Sam Winkler says the 67-year-old woman was eating at Dickey's Barbecue Pit on Sunday when she poured herself a glass of tea from the beverage bar. Winkler says the woman took a sip and her mouth started burning. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE
SHOW CAPTION +
HIDE CAPTION


By MICHELLE L. PRICE

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - A Utah woman who nearly died after unknowingly drinking iced tea mixed with chemicals has been released from a Salt Lake City hospital.

Jan Harding, 67, was released Saturday morning, University of Utah Health Care spokeswoman Marissa Villasenor said Sunday.

Harding is now recovering at home after making progress during the last week that is "nothing short of miraculous," family attorney Paxton Guymon said in an email Sunday.

Harding must still undergo tests and procedures to determine any long-term complications, Guymon said. "The family sincerely appreciates all of the support and prayers from everyone who has followed her story," he said.

Harding has been slowly improving since Aug. 10, when she drank a single sip of sweetened iced tea at Dickey's Barbecue in South Jordan, a Salt Lake City suburb.

An industrial cleaning solution mixed into the tea caused deep, ulcerated burns in Harding's esophagus.

On Thursday, her husband, Jim Harding, told reporters that his wife has had nightmares about the moment that made her say, "I think I drank acid."

Jim Harding, 66, said he's focused on his wife's recovery and not criminal charges or lawsuits.

Salt Lake County prosecutors are reviewing a police investigation and have not announced if charges will be filed.

Authorities have said a restaurant employee unintentionally put the heavy-duty cleaner lye in a sugar bag, and another worker mistakenly mixed it into the iced tea dispenser. Lye, which looks like sugar, is an odorless chemical used for degreasing deep fryers.

Jan Harding was the first one to drink from the chemically laced batch of tea, and no one else was harmed.

The Dallas-based Dickey's Barbecue Restaurants Inc. has said the incident was isolated and unprecedented in the chain's 73-year history.

After investigating, Guyman said last week that had discovered another lye incident at the South Jordan restaurant in July. An employee at the South Jordan restaurant burned herself when she stuck her finger in a sugar container and licked it to test for the chemical cleaner, he said.

The employee's tongue began bleeding and blistering. She quit on Aug. 9, the day before Harding was burned, Guymon said.

Dickey's Barbecue Restaurants has not commented on the new allegations.

Earlier on AOL.com:
Police: Woman poisoned by 'toxic' tea at Utah restaurant

Police: Woman Poisoned by 'Toxic' Tea at Restaurant

Read Full Story

People are Reading