nb_cid nb_clickOther -tt-nb this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';this.setHomePage('http://www.aol.com/?mtmhp=acm50ieupgradebanner_112313 network-banner-empty upgradeBanner
14
Search AOL Mail
AOL Mail
Video
Video
AOL Favorites
Favorites
Menu

Woman who drank toxic tea released from hospital



By MICHELLE L. PRICE

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - A Utah woman who nearly died after unknowingly drinking iced tea mixed with chemicals has been released from a Salt Lake City hospital.

Jan Harding, 67, was released Saturday morning, University of Utah Health Care spokeswoman Marissa Villasenor said Sunday.

Harding is now recovering at home after making progress during the last week that is "nothing short of miraculous," family attorney Paxton Guymon said in an email Sunday.

Harding must still undergo tests and procedures to determine any long-term complications, Guymon said. "The family sincerely appreciates all of the support and prayers from everyone who has followed her story," he said.

Harding has been slowly improving since Aug. 10, when she drank a single sip of sweetened iced tea at Dickey's Barbecue in South Jordan, a Salt Lake City suburb.

An industrial cleaning solution mixed into the tea caused deep, ulcerated burns in Harding's esophagus.

On Thursday, her husband, Jim Harding, told reporters that his wife has had nightmares about the moment that made her say, "I think I drank acid."

Jim Harding, 66, said he's focused on his wife's recovery and not criminal charges or lawsuits.

Salt Lake County prosecutors are reviewing a police investigation and have not announced if charges will be filed.

Authorities have said a restaurant employee unintentionally put the heavy-duty cleaner lye in a sugar bag, and another worker mistakenly mixed it into the iced tea dispenser. Lye, which looks like sugar, is an odorless chemical used for degreasing deep fryers.

Jan Harding was the first one to drink from the chemically laced batch of tea, and no one else was harmed.

The Dallas-based Dickey's Barbecue Restaurants Inc. has said the incident was isolated and unprecedented in the chain's 73-year history.

After investigating, Guyman said last week that had discovered another lye incident at the South Jordan restaurant in July. An employee at the South Jordan restaurant burned herself when she stuck her finger in a sugar container and licked it to test for the chemical cleaner, he said.

The employee's tongue began bleeding and blistering. She quit on Aug. 9, the day before Harding was burned, Guymon said.

Dickey's Barbecue Restaurants has not commented on the new allegations.

Earlier on AOL.com:
Police: Woman poisoned by 'toxic' tea at Utah restaurant

Police: Woman Poisoned by 'Toxic' Tea at Restaurant

Join the discussion

1000|Char. 1000  Char.
Mike August 24 2014 at 5:23 PM

Thank you, Lord, for poisoning this woman so that we can proclaim you on her recovery!

Flag Reply +10 rate up
4 replies
Brent Taylor August 24 2014 at 8:29 PM

"An employee at the South Jordan restaurant burned herself when she stuck her finger in a sugar container and licked it to test for the chemical cleaner, he said"

You can't fix Stupid...it comes in all colors and flavors...to hell with going out to eat, I'll just eat at home.

Flag Reply +8 rate up
COMIC BAGBOY EZN August 24 2014 at 7:02 PM

I BET THE EMPLOYEE DID NOT READ OR SPEAK ENGLISH!!! THERE IS NO OTHER EXPLANATION ???? THESE CHEMICAL BAGS ARE CLEARLY MARKED!! I KNOW BEING A FORMER FAST FOOD/RESTAURANT MGR

Flag Reply +7 rate up
2 replies
sheri4007 COMIC BAGBOY EZN August 24 2014 at 10:39 PM

Possibly it was an employee who couldn't or didn't bother to read! If it was an employee who couldn't speak or read English, why didn't they ask someone?

Flag Reply 0 rate up
1 reply
cgssnavickas sheri4007 August 25 2014 at 9:50 AM

How can the employee ask someone if they don't speak English?

Flag 0 rate up
butterfly02148 COMIC BAGBOY EZN September 02 2014 at 5:07 PM

Comic bag boy it sounds intentional.

Flag Reply 0 rate up
skidrowtom August 24 2014 at 5:47 PM

If you eat at a place called Dickey's, you need to spit, not swallow.

Flag Reply +6 rate up
2 replies
lancesammy skidrowtom August 24 2014 at 7:53 PM

you're just an a hole. go have a beer and attend your nightly kkk meeting.

Flag Reply 0 rate up
2 replies
rpersuhn lancesammy August 24 2014 at 8:20 PM

You need to pull the stick out of your a hole and get a little thicker skinned. Your why this country is crumbling cause every single thing offends you. Maybe your attention starved or you didn't have your juice box this morning.

Flag +1 rate up
i.dont.care.what.you.think lancesammy August 24 2014 at 10:43 PM

If you dont like what he said. DON'T READ IT.
MOMMAS BOY

Flag +1 rate up
rickskbc2112 skidrowtom August 24 2014 at 11:21 PM

Or Black Panther meeting.

Flag Reply 0 rate up
don16006 August 24 2014 at 5:46 PM

Why are these idiots putting lye into sugfar bags?

Flag Reply +6 rate up
pdbliz August 24 2014 at 8:58 PM

Glad the lady is OK....
But what about the people who listen to the TOXIC TRASH ON CNN,,,ABC..CBS..NBC,,,,CNN....

Flag Reply +4 rate up
2 replies
sheri4007 pdbliz August 24 2014 at 10:41 PM

FOX FOX FOX FOX FOX FOX FOX FOX FOX
It doesn't get any more toxic than that.

Flag Reply 0 rate up
1 reply
Dianne sheri4007 August 25 2014 at 7:22 AM

Why? Because Obama couldn't, and won't, intimidate them into submission?

Flag 0 rate up
rickskbc2112 pdbliz August 24 2014 at 11:22 PM

Liberal propaganda.

Flag Reply 0 rate up
ilenedan2 August 25 2014 at 7:18 AM

Wait. Soacid was placed in a sugar container (how, why) and one person was severely burned by this acid but then they just left it in there so another could be? It does not sound like a mistake to me. Not at all.

Flag Reply +2 rate up
Megan hahaha!!!! August 24 2014 at 10:02 PM

That was on purpose, and somebody needs to go to jail!!! Nobody puts a deadly chemical that looks like sugar in a sugar bag, unless they wanted to see what would happen. That's like somebody putting antifreeze in a gatorade bottle.

Flag Reply +2 rate up
1 reply
sheri4007 Megan hahaha!!!! August 24 2014 at 10:40 PM

Oh great! Now you have given another crazy ******* an idea!

Flag Reply 0 rate up
Brutal August 24 2014 at 10:47 PM

First lesson in handling chemicals is not to transfer them to other containers and make sure they stay in their proper packaging. IN the event you must transfer due to a busted container ... try putting a label on it.

Flag Reply +2 rate up
knudsendr August 24 2014 at 8:42 PM

restaurant should be closed down and employees responsible should be charged with negligent attempted homicide or equivalent"
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
You are just a stupid American !
Medical doctors are killing by mistake alone 240,000 ameriacns every year. If you are so brabve , take them in Court for killing, not attempt.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Health Care is nr 1 killer in US.

Flag Reply +1 rate up
3 replies
aol~~ 1209600

Voting...

More From Our Partners