Student arrested after class assignment goes wrong

High School Student Arrested After Class Assignment Goes Wrong

Alex Stone is a freshman at Summerville High School in South Carolina and his lawyer says a class assignment was taken too seriously by school officials.

Stone's teacher reportedly told students to write a few sentences about themselves as if they were posting Facebook updates. He wrote a fictional story that said: "I killed my neighbor's pet dinosaur." And then: "I bought the gun to take care of business."

That second post didn't sit well and he was suspended.

Police were also called in to search his locker and say Stone became disruptive so they arrested him.

His mother is furious about the situation and Stone told WCSC he understands the sensitive nature of his post, but it was taken completely out of context and the school's reaction was irrational.

"I regret it because they put it on my record but I don't see the harm in it. I think there might have been a better way of putting it but I think me writing like that it shouldn't matter unless I put it towards a person."

Earlier reports claim Stone was arrested over his use of the word "gun" in the assignment, but police clarified it was because he was being disorderly while they were searching through his belongings.

clancey7695 August 25 2014 at 5:33 AM

I am not pro gun but I am pro imagination and this kids used his to write his assignment. The school and the teachers need to get a grip! And Mom if you want to sue you should!

lightninbob1 August 25 2014 at 5:41 AM

Another liberal teacher making a mountain out of a mole hill. Teacher should have called the ASPCA because of the violence to the dinosaur.

sugarcreekchile August 25 2014 at 6:28 AM

American public schools are becoming theatres of the absurd. It was recently reported that a girl was suspended because she dared to say, "Bless you." when another student sneezed. Her teacher didn't want any God talk in her classroom.

Here, we have a teacher who can't distinguish fiction from non-fiction giving a BS assignment to write a few things about yourself like you were updating a Facebook page. The student obviously didn't want to share real information about himself so makes up nonsense about killing a pet dinosaur and buying a gun.

The teacher's overreaction was ridiuclous, calling in the police to search his locker and having him suspended from school for what he wrote which threatened no one but a fictional dinosaur.

This teacher has no knowledge of South Carolina gun laws either. The boy's a freshman in high school and you have to be 18 to purchase a firearm. The teacher's the one who should be suspended for harrassing a student over nothing.

kmcc895370 August 25 2014 at 6:19 AM

I don't know who the bigger idiots are, the teacher or the police. Both are idiots, mind you, its just a tough decision who is stupider! I hope the kids parents sue them into the poorhouse.

noteugene August 25 2014 at 6:00 AM

if this were a black student would they have been suspended? no. they would have started screaming about their rights. then filed a lawsuit.

nancy1ann August 25 2014 at 5:56 AM

when are you going to leave or children ALONE....you over react to everything.!!!! You gave an assignment. I see nothing wrong here......Now you have damaged a child! sick sick of it....

noteugene August 25 2014 at 5:54 AM

yeah. the kid was probably a bit ticked off because of the adults overreacting. they just want to point the finger at him.
seems kind of like entraptment. he did exactly like his teacher told him to. she didn't say to write a composition as if you were writing it to me.

coopdabomb August 25 2014 at 8:11 AM

"The mother was furious" This kid should have had a good assss whippin

loki3640 August 25 2014 at 6:05 AM

stupid!

wnagle53 August 25 2014 at 7:29 AM

it sounds like he got EXACTLY the reaction he was looking for.
A staged incident = a big finamcial settlement

generalsnafu wnagle53 August 25 2014 at 1:01 PM

Did the cops get a search warrant to search the locker or in typical fashion, did they simply violate this kid's right to privacy? The teacher needs a psychological evaluation.

MadHaTT3R wnagle53 August 25 2014 at 3:37 PM

So he planned all this ahead of time? And here I thought I had seen all the dumbest stuff today....Grats you win idiot of the day.