nb_cid nb_clickOther -tt-nb this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';this.setHomePage('http://www.aol.com/?mtmhp=acm50ieupgradebanner_112313 network-banner-empty upgradeBanner
14
Search AOL Mail
AOL Mail
Video
Video
AOL Favorites
Favorites
Menu

Family says cleaning chemical in Dairy Queen shakes made them sick

Family Says Cleaning Chemical in Dairy Queen Shakes Made Them Sick

THORNTON, Colo. - A trip to Dairy Queen for dessert turned dangerous Thursday night.

The family visited the DQ in Thornton. They say they tasted something strange in their ice cream treat, and then they got sick. FOX31 Denver received emails from others who say the same thing happened to them.

"He tasted something funny but thought it was off his hand and he said, 'Mom, this shake tastes disgusting.'"

Riley and his mom, Lisa Chase went to the drive-through at the Dairy Queen where they ordered vanilla shakes. After a few sips, the boy's stomach was burning.

"I took a drink of it and tasted something very 'chemically,' and then my mouth and throat started burning," Riley told his mom.

She whipped her vehicle around and went back to the store where she says she had a bad encounter with management.

"He said we don't give money back. 'I can't reimburse you for it,' and I said, 'No, I'm going to take this to the hospital with my son and you can pay for that and he said, 'do whatever you got to do.'"

Later she says a district manager called and confessed someone put a cleaning chemical into the vanilla syrup.

"I asked him how much, how did this happen?" He said, "Someone had a cleaning bottle and they didn't clean it out and they just put the vanilla in it"

By phone the store manager told FOX31 Denver that what happened was a "bad deal." Lisa Chase thinks it's much worse.

"I had him sleep with me last night and just not knowing what it was I didn't know what to do," she says tearfully.

DQ management was very apologetic Thursday. They were looking into what recourse the customers have with the restaurant chain's insurance company.

The Colorado Health Department was investigating the case.

More to see:
Woman who drank toxic tea released from hospital
Prosecutor reviews case involving chemicals in tea
Police: Son turns Florida mom in for making meth

Join the discussion

1000|Char. 1000  Char.
Amy August 24 2014 at 8:31 PM

Is this the new thing now, putting chemicals in drink dispensers. This is what happens when you hire worthless teenagers and leave them alone in a business with NO SUPERVISION!

Flag Reply +57 rate up
21 replies
bronzemarigolds August 24 2014 at 8:49 PM

Looks like a nasty lawsuit for Dairy Queen or will they counter sue for defemation of character? Hope the little boy is ok.

Flag Reply +33 rate up
7 replies
thorrsman August 24 2014 at 8:45 PM

What AGAIN?

Didn't we JUST see a story like this a week or so back, from another part of the country?

The old saying that it is hard to find good help is becoming more and more true today.

Flag Reply +28 rate up
4 replies
Still August 24 2014 at 8:49 PM

Now you see why nobody should be getting 15 dollars and hour working fast food., Just today I was ripped off at CookOut. I am sick of buying food that doesn't get put in the bag.

Flag Reply +20 rate up
12 replies
mike August 24 2014 at 8:33 PM

Going to check with Insurance to see if they have recourse???? How stupid is that??? of course they do. Geez...but you know there seems to be an epidemic of this going on and I am wondering if there employee's are not doing this on purpose, just saying.

Flag Reply +20 rate up
6 replies
cpruitt221 August 24 2014 at 11:00 PM

Dairy Queens are very loosely run and not managed very well. The idea that cleaning liquid could be in the drink dispensers without some intentional act is kind of ludicrous. Mostly they have teenagers and no supervision. I have had them ask for a tip before at a drive thru-very poor customer relations

Flag Reply +18 rate up
5 replies
mlondeaux August 25 2014 at 1:31 AM

At Dickey's Barbecue they insisted all containers were properly labeled, including the lye that was mixed with the sugar. Lye containers are clearly marked with warning labels. With more and more illegals getting low-paying jobs at fast food restaurants, my guess is someone couldn't read English and mistook the lye for sugar. The same mistake probably happened at Dairy Queen. Next time somebody might DIE because of their stupid mistake. Restaurant owners should only hire people who SPEAK ENGLISH. Our lives depend on it.

Flag Reply +16 rate up
7 replies
ExArmy Medic August 24 2014 at 11:46 PM

First the store manager and the person who put the vanilla syrup in the bottle need fired.

This manger needs to be criminally charged by the state for the unsafe running of a business.

DQ's insurance should pay those affected by this gross neglience a sizeable settlement.

This is not hot coffee falling into you lap.

Flag Reply +15 rate up
3 replies
Buckingham's August 24 2014 at 10:27 PM

Don't give refunds huh? After she sues the #@!!!&**%$$$ out of Dairy Qeen, you'll wish you had given refunds.

Flag Reply +14 rate up
1 reply
david.konen Buckingham's August 25 2014 at 1:55 AM

I agree - maybe SOME of the management should be lynched for their policy attitudes.

Flag Reply +1 rate up
combatpainter August 24 2014 at 8:32 PM

Sue their ass off!

Flag Reply +13 rate up
1 reply
roseyoungstewart combatpainter August 25 2014 at 12:20 AM

just their ass? What about the rest of them; their arms, their head, their fingers etc?

Flag Reply 0 rate up
aol~~ 1209600

Voting...

More From Our Partners