The best and worst dressed at the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards
Hollywood's hottest music talent converged at the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards tonight, August 24, 2014, and we must say -- we were pretty surprised by some of the looks, and not in the shocking way we expected to be. Are the VMAs becoming more....tame? If we're judging by the performances, we're going to go with probably not (Nicki Minaj, anyone?), but for the most part, the red carpet looks erred more on the side of mainstream that the usual bizarre.
- Mermaid hair aside, we thought Kesha looked super-pretty in this embellished dress.
- We loved this hot pink separates look on Gwen Stefani.
- OK, Amber Rose. We have no words.
- Somewhat of a safe look, but Holland Roden looked great in a white cutout dress.
- We're crushing hard on Ingrid Nilsen's Chrstian Siriano separates.
- Because she's the Queen. That's why!
- YIKES. Taylor Swift, what happened here?
- What can we say? Jennifer Lopez seriously brought it.
- Thigh-high leather boots plus a visible logo? No and no thanks, Ariana Grande.
- So, we really didn't hate this look on Miley Cyrus. Unfortunately, we didn't love it either.
- This look is pretty tame for the VMAs and Nicki, so bonus points there. We're just not 100% sure on the giraffe print.
- We happen to think this is a really pretty dress, but Jessie J is kinda swimming in it.
- We LOVE this look on Sarah Hyland. It's sleek, chic, and sophisticated.
- Demi looks great, but this red dress is a bit intense on her.
- At first glance, this look on Victoria Justice is OK, but we're really not into the fringe leather skirt, and the closed-toe heels were a big mistake.
- We have a feeling there are going to be some haters on this look, but we think Kim looks flawless.
- Kendall Jenner looked pared-down and chic.
- We think Kylie looks good here, but the dress feels too fabric-heavy for her small frame.
- It's another safe look, but Lucy Hale managed the perfect mix of sweet and edgy with this leather look.
- In theory, we like the tux look, but this one on Solange Knowles is way too baggy-on-baggy. Plus, the hair -- come on!
- We're not sure why Charli XCX thought this zebra-print jumpsuit was a good idea, but it's like, really bad.
- So, we'd love Chloe Grace Moretz's look if it were front row at a fashion show, but it feels out of place at the VMAs.
- This floral look on Mary Lambert is just too much. Props to her for rocking flats, though!
- Iggy Azaela's gown feels a little too space age-y for us to take it seriously.
- We've gotta hand it to J.Lo -- she looks absolutely amazing!
Taylor Swift's bizarre onesie-style jumpsuit, Katy Perry's Britney/JT throwback, and Amber Rose's nearly-naked ensemble aside, we couldn't believe how, well, normal some of the red carpet looks were. You've got to see it to believe it. Click through the gallery for all the best and worst dressed stars at the 2014 MTV VMAs.
You'll never believe how this man proposed to his girlfriend: Click here!