Official: Militants asked for $132.5 million ransom

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Official: Militants asked for $132.5 million ransom
FILE - In this May 27, 2011 file photo American Journalist James Foley, of Rochester, N.H., poses for a photo in Boston. The parents of Foley, kidnapped in Syria more than four months ago, said Thursday April 4, 2013 that his latest disappearance is more upsetting than an earlier one in Libya because they don’t know who is holding him. (AP Photo/Steven Senne, File)
FILE - This undated file still image from video released April 7, 2011, by GlobalPost, shows James Foley of Rochester, N.H., a freelance contributor for GlobalPost, in Benghazi, Libya. A Libyan government spokesman says four journalists detained since early April have completed an administrative hearing and will be released Tuesday or Wednesday.(AP Photo/GlobalPost, File)
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE
SHOW CAPTION +
HIDE CAPTION


BY LARA JAKES and MICHAEL MELIA

WASHINGTON (AP) - A U.S. official says the Islamic State militants who beheaded American journalist James Foley in Syria had demanded $132.5 million - or 100 million Euros- in ransom for his release.

A second U.S. official says the demands were sent in emails to Foley's family in New Hampshire. Both officials spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the ransom demands by name.

Separately, Foley's former employer said that the militants first demanded the money late last year.

GlobalPost CEO Philip Balboni also indicated that European governments paid far less to have the Islamic State release their hostages.

U.S. policy prohibits the government negotiating with terrorists, including paying ransom.

A video of Foley's beheading was released on websites Tuesday.

Read Full Story

People are Reading