Schilling blames chewing tobacco for mouth cancer

Schilling Says Tobacco Caused Cancer

BOSTON (AP) -- Former major league pitcher Curt Schilling says he's battling mouth cancer and blames 30 years of chewing tobacco use.

Schilling discussed details of his cancer on WEEI-FM in Boston on Wednesday. He announced he had cancer in February, but had not disclosed what kind.

He says it's due to chewing tobacco.

Schilling is being treated at Brigham and Women's Hospital and the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. He received seven weeks of chemotherapy and radiation treatments and is in remission. He says he's lost 75 pounds.

Schilling is a three-time World Series champion with the Arizona Diamondbacks and Boston Red Sox.

He's being sued by Rhode Island's economic development agency after his video game company received a $75 million state loan guarantee and then collapsed.

Related Searches:
Arizona Diamondbacks
Boston Red Sox
Preventing Cancer
Common Causes of Cancer
Side-Effects of Tobacco
MLB World Series

Ingrid August 20 2014 at 1:49 PM

How about blaming himself for chewing tobacco. Everyone knew about the warnings. He wasjust too dumb to heed them.

michael_kerrick August 20 2014 at 1:57 PM

I agree Ingrid, I find it offensive how they're blaming it on chewing tobacco, there are warnings of "addictive" and "may cause tooth decay or cancer" on every can. He took the risk every time he packed, dipped, and spit. I've been chewing since 2009, my father, been chewing for 40+ years and he's had no problems. He took the risk.

mvnup August 20 2014 at 4:39 PM

I have an idea why not blame the person who put the tobacco in their mouth?

c1g2w3 August 20 2014 at 2:54 PM

I don't think he is saying he is not to blame but that is what caused it. A warning to others not to make the same mistake.

Carolyn c1g2w3 August 21 2014 at 12:07 AM

Thank you - someone who understands what he was saying instead of reading just the headlines. At least he's coming out and saying it to warn others..

Marian August 20 2014 at 2:35 PM

He should blame himself for his problem....He obviously didn't read the warnings on the can or package.. You cannot blame the tobacco...I have never smoked in my 65 years on earth....I am amazed at people who come through my checkout lane and say I need a pack of cigarettes..... I want to tell them they WANT the cigarettes but they don't need them...... If you get cancer from smoking or chewing tobacco, blame yourself first...not the company or the people who sell you those cancer sticks... Shilling could have quit chewing the stuff but instead continued for 30 years...He needs to blame himself not the tobacco...No one forced him to chew it....God have mercy on him...

Carolyn Marian August 21 2014 at 12:07 AM

He did if you listened.

Dave August 20 2014 at 4:58 PM

Nobody twisted his arm to chew tabacco! Thing is, tabacco has the ability to augment a bad situation. Not cause it. Ever give that a thought?? If that were the case EVERY person that smokes or chews would be afflicted in the same way. Do some research people.

KCCROM August 21 2014 at 12:20 AM

Another Lawsuit by someone who thought I'll never get sick from tobacco, just someone else ! Even thou I knew tobacco was harmful !

Rick August 20 2014 at 2:19 PM

America where our problems can be blamed on someone else, what a loser.

Tim and Marnie August 21 2014 at 1:13 AM

No one packed the stuff in your mouth and worked your jaws.

troyce41 August 20 2014 at 7:45 PM

I saw what smoking can do to a person. For those who smoke I feel no sympathy for the choice they made. I did try smoking once when I was 14 I choked and that was it for me. My husband smokes and he will complain at times he can't breath. I ignore him he wants to smoke he will be the one to pay for his problem.

1413943022017