'It's not worth your life,' James Foley says while speaking at former journalism school in 2011

James Wright Foley was the victim of a horrifying act of revenge on Tuesday, August 19, 2014.

But the U.S. journalist, who has long been covering conflict in some of the world's most dangerous war zones, was no stranger to hostage situations.

In 2011, Foley was held captive in a Libyan prison for 18 days.

He was also abducted at gunpoint in northern Syria on Thanksgiving Day in 2012, according to NBC, after which he had not been heard from and his family had accepted his death.

Shortly following his rescue in 2011, the US journalist visited his former journalism school in New Hampshire to discuss the experience, as well as why, in his line of work, he's so often drawn into the heart of the violence.

'It's so hard for journalists to nail down some facts ... that's part of the reason you're drawn to the frontline,' he said that day.

In the interview, he also speaks about risk-taking. And following the events of today, his warnings seem all the more acute.

'It's not worth your life. It's not worth seeing your mother, father, brother and sister bawling. It's not worth these things.'

Watch the full interview above.

f1v79 August 20 2014 at 11:09 AM

Want to know why I have absolutely no fear of being beheaded?

Because I'm keeping my behind out of the middle east. No amount of money can make me want to be anywhere near those savages.

fullsrvlaw f1v79 August 20 2014 at 11:44 AM

I would not even want to land in one of those countries where beheading is a normal practice en route to somewhere else. Of course, until the 1980's that is how France executed felons. England hanged almost everyone convicted of murder until the 1970's. Countries change over time. Still, I think beheading is one of the cruelest way to die. Don't forget Daniel Pearl died the same way.

lifetimegutter f1v79 August 20 2014 at 12:00 PM

They said there coming our way.

clayth3 August 20 2014 at 2:57 PM

I agree why would anybody want to see a human get beheaded. This is exactly what this terrorist group wants. Don't veiw it, it will demoralize you.

PowellTreeCare August 20 2014 at 3:35 PM

My deepest and most sincere condolences to the family of James Foley. I absolutely respect your wishes. I have no desire to watch that video, and I would never, ever share it. I am so very sorry for your loss.

jmgddg August 20 2014 at 10:20 PM

He was drawn into the conflict to educate and make us aware of the terrors in this part of the world. He was a brave soul who did what his heart told him was his life's work. But as a mother and a sister, I can't understand how you can put yourself in harm's way knowing there was a very good chance of being captured and tortured. How does his family deal with this now and for the next number of decades? We must not take such high risks unless we have no concern about those we might leave behind. It is not fair to those we love to leave tortured and broken hearts that can never be mended, no matter how good one's intention is...there are other ways to teach and learn than to put ourselves in the hands of our enemy.

dexrmerritt August 20 2014 at 8:02 AM

I guess hometown news wasn't enough

jacks_sam August 20 2014 at 5:37 PM

Put your head in a bees nest you're going to get stung. Should have taken his own advise. Although It's sad to go this way, I have a hard time feeling sorry for people who do stupid things like he did.

Tom August 20 2014 at 5:34 PM

Dude was vey brave to do what the reporting in the mid east and so sorry for the family to lose Mr.James Foley --
God bless you and your family in this difficult time and I hope we eliminate the subhumans that did this. Be strong

I love Me August 20 2014 at 3:18 PM

isis is killing hundrend of people who just want a life.The president said he will not stop going after isis,maybe he is getting some balls.we need to keep killing them....

clayth3 August 20 2014 at 2:54 PM

We need to continue with the drone bombing and some special forces on the ground. Start capturing IsIs officials get Intel off them and get rid of this menace.

ML August 20 2014 at 2:44 PM