CHP says officer may face serious beating charges

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A California Highway Patrol officer who was videotaped repeatedly striking a woman on the side of a Los Angeles freeway could face serious charges, the agency said Wednesday after forwarding its investigation to the district attorney.

Officer Daniel Andrew, who was put on a desk assignment after the incident, was removed from duty and put on paid administrative leave, the CHP said.

The agency didn't reveal if it made a recommendation to prosecutors but said in a news release that its report outlined potentially serious charges he could face. It didn't specify possible charges.

The July 1 incident sparked outrage as video showed Andrew hitting Marlene Pinnock, 51, several times on the side of Interstate 10.

Andrew said in his report that Pinnock was a danger to herself and had tried to walk into traffic lanes. Drivers had called emergency dispatchers to report that a barefoot woman was on the freeway shoulder who appeared drunk or high.

Pinnock has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and was off her medication for two to three months before the altercation with Andrew, said Pinnock's attorney Caree Harper.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Pinnock said she believed the officer was trying to kill her.

"He grabbed me, he threw me down, he started beating me," she said. "I felt like he was trying to kill me, beat me to death."

Pinnock filed a lawsuit against CHP Commissioner Joe Farrow and Andrew in federal court alleging civil rights violations. The lawsuit claims excessive force, assault, battery and a violation of due-process rights.

Family of Woman Hit by CHP Officer Plans to File Lawsuit
Related Police Brutality in Ferguson, Missouri:

am0714 August 20 2014 at 10:53 PM

Hey let's hope this is the time that this nonsense is addressed. I'm 68 years old, grew up in NY, and was waked around by the Police plenty......nothing serious....but I was kicked and punched .....My father was a very tuff construction worker, he had a few issues two...tickets etc...(collecting cash for the ticket)....He always said look, just thank God you aren't a black kid around here....That goes back a long way, and it is time that it stops. The minute that tape was aired that A-hole should have been in jail.....end of story. And I know there are good & bad on all sides.....but c'mon, enough is ....well to much after all this time. That poor woman, what a shame.

Ripper August 20 2014 at 11:27 PM

I am so damn sick of these pieces of trash giving my race a bad name. Look you white pigs. If I ever see you doing this garbage in my presence, I will surly do something about it. We whites have enough to live down without you douchebags pulling this crap. I have lived my entire life with people hating because I am white and I am really sick of the B.S. because of these dirtbag cops.

allendniles August 20 2014 at 11:44 PM

He's really beating on her . Ths guy needs to be off the force.

MadisonVegas August 20 2014 at 11:24 PM

My question is..Where was the family of this HOMELESS soul..When she was sleeping on the street..eating from trash cans..and not having her medication monitored ? Oh, I see they love and care about her now she has become a potential large meal ticket for all of them..Shame shame shame...Pastor M.

strangebrew9ted August 20 2014 at 10:44 PM

Need to put these kgb cops in a jail with the people they falsly accuse and abuse

jrgumshoe August 20 2014 at 11:58 PM

Violent, brutal murderous cops all being sent on vacation after their vicious crimes. Amazing!

katkelly57 jrgumshoe August 21 2014 at 2:51 AM

Next thing you know they'll have all the rotten ones doing ads for Disney.

"Officer Imakickyourass, where are you going now that you kicked the hell outta little Johnny?"

"I'm going to Disney World!"

jaxxr jrgumshoe August 21 2014 at 3:01 PM

Check out Policethugs.com to see more of our heroes in blue in daily action.

Hennessy August 21 2014 at 1:55 AM

The vid camera is going to put a lot of these creeps with badges in the cages they put others in. Now that's real justice.

Al-Baby! August 20 2014 at 11:54 PM

Oh, those darn videotapes. Without them, the cop could have contended he was valiantly rescuing her, when she kept banging her head against his closed fist.

We need to change the name of the country to: America Police State/America Prison State.

pwic113s August 21 2014 at 12:05 AM

Suspended with pay what bullshit. He should be thrown in jail immediatly and let the inmates take care of him

craw146new August 20 2014 at 11:12 PM

That's a TON of BULL ****!!!!! She was FIGHTING the Officer. SHE was trying to WALK into TRAFFIC!!! SHE was balligerant and uncooperative. The only way to CONTROL that kind of person on drugs and fighting apprehention was to PHYSICALLY SUBDUE HER!!!!! SHE caused the action that transpired, bBY HER OWN ACTIONS!!!!! NOW it is the COPS FAULT!!! our society has gotten SO F'D UP!!!!!