Hotel chain hires private investigators to 'steal' beds

Hotel Chain Hires Private Investigators To 'Steal' Beds

A lot of hotel guests have made off with those mini shampoo bottles, some maybe even a robe or two –– but the mattress?

At first look, we weren't sure if these photos were legit. Fox News reports the photos are real, but the robbery –– that's the fake part.

Guests of budget hotel chain Premier Inn loved the beds and mentioned wanting to steal them - so many guests, in fact, the hotel hired a team of private investigators to attempt mattress theft at 10 of its United Kingdom locations.

After hearing about this story, we did some digging of our own as to what hotels are doing to prevent thefts.

While not as flashy as stealing a bed, more hotels are concerned with the high costs of replacing textiles. That's why in 2011 two companies partnered to invent towels, sheets and robes embedded with traceable microchips.

And some hotels around the world started adding sensors to their minibars when they realized beverages could simply be refilled with water. As The Wall Street Journal reports, though, those sensors can sometimes be a little too sensitive.

One guest in a Chicago hotel recalled when he accidentally bumped into one: "The minibar thought I ate everything in it." That led to a whopping $700 charge that the hotel later reversed.

Still, hiring private investigators to prevent mattress theft? It may seem a little extreme until you take a look at The Telegraph's list of most extreme hotel thefts.

Making the list was a stuffed boar, a fireplace and, well, everything. One instance involved the guests requesting a room near the parking lot, then filling a U-Haul with everything the room had to offer.
Guests aren't the only thieves, though. It's nightmarish to have your belongings stolen when you're supposed to be relaxing. Thankfully, USA Today has tips for guests.

The most interesting tip was using "diversion safes." Taking the approach of hiding something in plain sight, these safes are designed to look and feel like everyday objects, such as shaving cream cans or hair brushes, but have empty interiors for money, watches and jewelry.

With technology and tricks this good for both hotels and guests, maybe the only thing left to steal is the bed. In that case, we know which hotel chain is ready with a big "I told you so ... "

More on AOL.com
Conan accepts the 'Ice Bucket Challenge' ...
Family snatches up record-breaking gator

gidupgo August 19 2014 at 11:43 AM

I have my own secret place to place valuables when I leave my room. I discovered it quite by accident many years ago. I pull out the bottom drawer of the dresser. There is usually a vacant space beneath the drawer where I can put my laptop and other items I want to keep safe. Now that I have told everyone, I will have to kill you.

mgt0331 gidupgo August 19 2014 at 4:03 PM

Who the hell would want a mattress from a hotel that has been pee'd on, gizzed on and who knows what else. A-holes. Gross. Funny comment though.

Randy August 19 2014 at 12:24 PM

I must be staying in the wrong hotels ? they never had anything I wanted

mdusher1 August 19 2014 at 9:10 AM

I just want them to tell me who manufactures those mattresses!

yayabeanes mdusher1 August 19 2014 at 1:58 PM

Right...And charging 700 for them is what a very good mattress goes for around by me.

bwess8 August 19 2014 at 6:16 AM

Have to get rid of those bed bugs some how .

popkokids August 19 2014 at 1:56 PM

You printed the story . We don't need you to read it to us.

mstienlee August 19 2014 at 9:11 AM

She must not have gotten the memo of the Ferguson looting?

syntheticlubeguy August 19 2014 at 9:59 AM

In the mid-1970's, my father was assistant night manager at the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach, FL. Early one morning around 3 am, hotel security alerted him to something in the parking lot that would prove interesting. Someone decided to check out REALLY early and had loaded the mattress AND box spring on the top of their car and were in the process of strapping it down when caught. Yes, folks, even in swanky Palm Beach there is someone who will try this.
Additionally and without a lot of fanfare, pictures in hotel rooms were replaced with ''larger than suitcase sized" paintings as the guests were tucking them in suitcases also. Yep, even at 5 star hotels you get them.

mhdjl syntheticlubeguy August 19 2014 at 10:14 AM

Many years ago, Helen Gurley Brown said in an interview, that she took towels and ashtrays (days before no smoking hotels) and told her "Cosmo" girls it was okay to do the same.

bucksbare August 19 2014 at 3:54 PM

I would hope that anyone who would steal mattresses and furniture from a motel would get bedbugs with it too!

clwgeorgetownlaw August 19 2014 at 3:13 PM

Obama's fault........

richard carlile August 19 2014 at 5:12 PM

Who is stupid enough to leave "money, Jewell's, and watches in a motel room?

World Series