Madonna's style transformation
- Madonna practices with the freshman cheerleaders at Adams High School in 1972 in Rochester, Michigan.
- Madonna in the late '70s -- she had recently moved to New York City to study dance.
- Madonna smolders at the camera with her intensely-lined eyes.
- The epitome of an '80s girl: Madonna performing on stage.
- Madonna attended the 12th Annual American Music Awards with bold blonde hair and a rocker-chic outfit.
- Sporting a shorter and darker 'do, Madonna performed at the Live Aid Concert in the summer of '85.
- Madonna pulls off the blonde hair, dark brows look at the 14th Annual American Music Awards.
- Madonna performs during the Blonde Ambition Tour.
- A short blonde crop and lots of black, Madonna walks through NYC in a shiny trench with fishnet detailing.
- The superstar wore a daring bodysuit to the premiere of "Madonna: Truth or Dare," and we must say she totally pulled it off!
- Madonna out and about in NYC, wearing an embellished leather moto jacket.
- Madonna attended the "With Honors" premiere in a brightly colored crop top and long skirt.
- For MTV's "Madonna's Bedtime Story Pajama Party," Madonna rocked a leopard print coat -- or perhaps a robe...?
- Madonna attended the L.A. premiere of "Evita," wearing an ombre dress with feathers, flowers, fishnets... a LOT going on.
- Madonna looked stunning at the Golden Globes, wearing this simple black gown and disheveled hair.
- For the 1998 VH1 Vogue Fashion Awards, Madonna seemed to channel Belle from Beauty and the Beast ... if a more gothic version.
- Madonna attended 9th Annual Fire and Ice Ball in a sliced lace dress with feather detailing along the bottom.
- Perfectly put-together, Madonna looked classic in a long white peacoat for a book launch party.
- Back to her bold self! Madonna attended the MTV European Music Awards wearing a lot of purple and fishnets.
- Madonna wore a pink cocktail dress to the 2006 Vanity Fair Oscar Party.
- At the following year's Vanity Fair Oscar Party, Madonna stunned in a black dress by Dolce & Gabbana.
- It's a little sheer but a lot fabulous: Madonna's pretty black dress is a win in our book.
- At the amfAR's Cinema Against AIDS 2008 benefit, Madonna rocked a coral long-sleeved satin dress.
- Guy Ritchie and Madonna attended the "RocknRolla" world premiere, Madonna wearing a black dress with embellishments.
- Madonna attended a screening of "Filth and Wisdom" hosted by The Cinema Society and Dolce and Gabbana.
- Madonna shows off her toned arms at the Vanity Fair Oscar Party.
- Madonna at the "The Model as Muse: Embodying Fashion" Costume Institute Gala. We have no words for that headdress...
- Madonna and Lourdes Leon attend the "Material Girl" collection launch in NYC.
- Madonna arrives at the Vanity Fair Oscar Party, wearing a very sheer lace skirt over a bodysuit.
- Madonna attends the "Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty" Costume Institute Gala in an intricate dress with star detailing.
- Madonna looks pretty in navy and black with a keyhole cutout, but we'd like her to ditch the fishnets.
- Madonna wore this black and grey dress to a premiere of "W.E." and left us wondering... who got tulle-happy on her shoulders?
- Madonna poses backstage at the 24th Annual GLAAD Media Awards, dressed like a boy scout.
- More fishnets for the Billboard Music Awards -- this lady loves bold fashion choices!
There are a few things you can always say about Madonna's sartorial choices: they're daring, often black, and the woman loves her fishnets. Today August 16th is the superstar's 56th birthday, but she's never looked better!
We took a look at her style through the years: from the '80s pop sensation to the staple in everything entertainment that she's become today, she's always been a trendsetter. In the recent years she's chosen more refined, classic silhouettes -- but she always manages to squeeze in a bold ensemble complete with her favorite variation of tights.
Click through to see Madonna's style transformation -- from the crazy to the classic!