Fisherman donates 809-pound catch to shelter to help feed homeless

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (AP) - An 809-pound tiger shark caught in the Gulf of Mexico earlier this month has been cooked and served to more than 90 poor and homeless Texans.

Timon's Ministries in Corpus Christi set up the donation of about 75 pounds of shark meat. Executive director Kae Berry tells the San Antonio Express-News that the 12-foot, 7-inch shark was the biggest fish ever donated to the center. A volunteer chef breaded and baked the meat.

Fisherman Ryan Spring of San Antonio had said he caught the shark after reeling it in for more than seven hours.

Berry says the volunteer chef did a great job preparing the food and "most people really enjoyed it." And the center says there are enough leftovers to serve up some shark stew next week.

All About Tiger Sharks

MASTER August 15 2014 at 9:09 AM

7 billion humans, far fewer tiger sharks. Maybe the feeding should have been reversed?

robinincali August 15 2014 at 10:45 AM

Should have let it go. Hate these morons that kill big and then smile for the camera. Smile when you let the live animal go.

zrsz1 August 15 2014 at 10:04 AM

they'll turn their noses up at it. a few years ago the company I worked for gave turkeys out for thanksgiving. good size ones too, like 18 lbs. I never took one, but there were extra's and the owner pretty much made me. anyway, I stick it in the freezer and now it's Easter. I don't want it so i called a local shelter, hey, I have a turkey for you, nice big one. it's easter we serve ham, we don't want it. I said maybe you didn't hear me...she said,,,we don't want it, it's easter, we serve ham,,,i could NOT convince this woman to take the damn thing. wtf, I finally found a convent that took it... that soured me on all these shelters with their hands out. screw them

skyofblue17 August 15 2014 at 9:48 AM

"he caught the shark after reeling it in for more than seven hours."
********************
Yes, I am sure he was only thinking of those poor homeless people for seven straight hours. I wish the shark had escaped.

vincent.barnes1 August 15 2014 at 9:33 AM

Sport killer .no reasôn to kill it....

pat August 15 2014 at 8:50 AM

I wonder if the homeless people knew how full of mercury that fish was

jmamusicman pat August 15 2014 at 9:58 AM

I wonder if the homeless and hungry have the time to think about that when they are trying to find a place to sleep and a decent meal...???...And, besides,...how do you know how much mercury that particular fish had?...or if there was any actual danger from eating it...
Always someone to criticize the good deeds of another person....

margaret pat August 15 2014 at 5:08 PM

Tiger sharks eat about anything !! I sure wouldn't eat a shark !!! I'm more for saving the species !!!! It need to outlawed to kill a shark unless it is direct threat to beach goers and even then It could be taken out to deeper waters and released . KILL, KILL, KILL< that's some people want to do !!!

sal7851 margaret August 16 2014 at 12:12 AM

I say no fishing allowed for Muslims, all they do is kill, kill, kill !

Flag 0 rate up
bdgrizcp August 15 2014 at 8:34 AM

An amazing catch. However, tiger sharks are now considered near threatened and as such should be catch and release. (Unless, of course, the animal is near death from fighting). It suprises me that in a state where snook are basically off limits (cannot even be imported) most of the year sharks are not protected. Have to look this one up. In Broward County, where I live, sharks are catch and release only.

liontwin33 August 15 2014 at 11:05 AM

Let's see here. The species is on the decline, and some idiot fisherman takes it upon himself to catch and kill this creature to feed the homeless. Now that's sad. If it had been accidentally caught in a net and died, then of course, by all means, make the best of a bad situation. But this? WRONG decision.

riverboy19 liontwin33 August 15 2014 at 2:36 PM

correct.

jpfmtka August 15 2014 at 8:43 AM

While I congratulate feeding the homeless, Tiger Sharks have low reproductive rates and are listed as "near threatened". Perhaps he could have released it and donated a few alternate catches.

venturamickey jpfmtka August 16 2014 at 1:34 PM

I think we should be allowed to hunt the homeless as they are numerous and littering everywhere.

taarmao August 15 2014 at 10:57 AM

really sad and somewhat sick to have caught and killed this shark.

World Series