1st female little league player happy for 2 little girls

SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. (AP) - More than six decades after Kathryn "Tubby" Johnston Massar cut off her braids, tucked her hair under her cap and became the first girl to play Little League baseball, she's delighted to see two in this year's Little League World Series.

"It's truly amazing. I'm very happy to see girls playing," said Massar, 78, of Yuba City, California.

Canada's Emma March and Philadelphia's Mo'ne Davis will become the 17th and 18th girls to play in the tournament Friday when they take the field. It will be only the third time in the series' 68-year history that two girls are playing in the same series.

Massar is slated to throw out the first pitch at one of Monday's Little League World Series games.

She believes more girls will start to play in Little League and beyond, and that eventually there will be a woman in Major League Baseball.

Massar played in 1950, leading to a rule barring girls from playing. That rule was overturned in 1974.

The self-described "trailblazer" said she celebrates her role in history.

"It's something I'm proud of," she said. "Why not play baseball with the boys?"

lenard_miller August 15 2014 at 8:44 PM

WOW, all the whining about the girls playing on the little league, maybe they are just better players.

David Kelly lenard_miller August 16 2014 at 7:08 PM

the girls are better players???? hahahaha. you're joking right??? You must be, because that is one of the dumbest things someone has said in a long time. You must be a feminist!?

Kate August 15 2014 at 9:44 PM

Good for the girls! They must be damn good to have made it into the play offs.

msdot10993 Kate August 16 2014 at 9:40 AM

oh yea one girl maybe and the rest boys give me a brake...how many pros do u see in the majors that are girls...

katyclaire msdot10993 August 16 2014 at 7:31 PM

Who cares? The point is that these 2 did make it and good for them.

Flag 0 rate up
wbask3249 August 15 2014 at 4:30 PM

I had a daughter that played with the boys until she hit high school, she was the best pitcher on her team and most of the boys hated batting against her. BUT I also had a young boy that played against a team that had a girl on it, he was the pitcher on his team (13 14 year olds) he hit the girl with a fastball and it was over for him. He would never pitch again.
I say good for the girls but you have to be a little tougher than most to play with the boys. I think its great watching them, they do remind me of my daughter.

joper201 August 15 2014 at 11:32 PM

I'm a really old guy and can't believe the nasty, caveman comments on this board.
Some of you guys must have a competent female boss and it drives you crazy.

If girls can compete well with boys the should be allowed to.
If later on the need for muscles outweighs the need for brains then they will quit.

onionson joper201 August 16 2014 at 5:53 AM

Great post. I long thought girls softball was a joke until I went as saw my niece pitch a Jr. High School game. It was incredible. I'm not sure I could get a hit off her!

David Kelly joper201 August 16 2014 at 7:10 PM

yeah...I have a female boss, but she's incompetent as hell! They're getting ready to fire her!

bjsmissy August 15 2014 at 10:46 PM

She's got what it takes. I'm really happy for this little girl.

DIANA SMITH August 15 2014 at 4:22 PM

just wondering if boys can play on the girls LL teams. If not why not! Just wish boys had a team and girls played with girls. Just wrong

maxdurch99 August 15 2014 at 3:58 PM

Gender is not an issue. Competence is. Whomever can play, let them play; however, do NOT lower the standards. The best play and make each other better. Affirmative action lowers the standards and the quality. Just look at our government and how the quality of service has been lowered for the people. Only the best, AA = 3rd world standards.

leslie August 15 2014 at 3:49 PM

Will they chew tobacco, spit and scratch their balls like the rest of the players?

bellyboynyc leslie August 15 2014 at 6:15 PM

If they want to, why not?

msdot10993 leslie August 16 2014 at 9:42 AM

because girls don't have BALLS to scratch what an idiot

ron August 15 2014 at 6:22 PM

One small step for Kathryn one giant leep for girls :-)

wayne8734 August 15 2014 at 5:32 PM

Girls shouldn't be playing on boys little league teams period! On top of most girls not being able to play baseball as well as a male,you have locker room issues and I'm sure the boys are uncomfortable with girls around the dugouts,fields etc.In other words they can't be themselves.

World Series