12 secret celebrity weddings we still know little about
- The couple met on set filming Mad Men, where Bledel and Kartheiser’s characters had an affair on-screen. They started dating shortly after and Kartheiser proposed after only five months. Details on the big day so far are scarce; all we know is the two got married in California in June.
- Although their relationship has become a lot more public since then, in 2008 the music superstars got married in an intimate ceremony in Jay Z’s apartment in New York. Some lucky On The Run concertgoers were treated to a snippet of their wedding video six years later.
- Although she let Martha Stewart Weddings write about her Charleston nuptials, we only managed to see a glimpse of the custom-made Marchesa gown Blake Lively was said to have worn when she married Ryan Reynolds.
- In a match made in teen television dreams, Gossip Girl’s Leighton Meester and The OC’s Adam Brody were quietly married earlier this year in California.
- These two are the definition of a private couple. Forget about ever seeing a wedding photo of Scandal’s Kerry Washington and husband NFL player Nnamdi Asomugha, to this day the pair have yet to even step out together publicly.
- The two Spanish actors had known each other for years before eventually ending up together. They got married in 2010 in a secret ceremony in the Bahamas and the bride wore a dress made by John Galliano.
- The two played a married couple in their movie, Dream House, but it wasn’t until 2011 that they officially became man and wife when they wed in a small ceremony in New York attended by just four other people, including her son and his daughter.
- They reportedly were pen pals when they were younger but in fact only met at a Mumford and Sons concert (where Marcus was the lead singer). Their wedding was officiated by Mumford’s father in the English countryside and the guest list included friends Sienna Miller, Colin Firth, and Jake Gyllenhaal.
- Together now for nine years, Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck met while filming Pearl Harbor, but didn’t fall in love until starring together in Daredevil in 2004. Within a year, the two were engaged, Garner was pregnant, and they got married in a secret wedding in Turks and Caicos.
- Even though news of their conscious uncoupling was sent to Goop subscribers around the world, nobody found out when the Coldplay singer and Oscar-winning actress stealthily tied the knot in Santa Barbara in 2003.
- After meeting on the set of Black Swan, where she won an Oscar and Millipied was a choreographer, the couple had son Aleph and later got married in Big Sur in 2012, where the bride wore a dress made by her friends at Rodarte.
- Even though they’ve been photographed hand-in-hand on endless red carpets, the supermodel and NFL quarterback weren’t as inviting with photographers for their Costa Rican nuptials in 2009.
News came out this week that actress Alexis Bledel and Mad Men's Vincent Kartheiser had quietly tied the knot earlier this summer. They're not the first two people in the public eye to pull off the admirable feat of getting married in secret. There are plenty of other celebrity couples that have also chosen to keep their wedding day private. Here, we take a look back at twelve celebrity duos who surprised us all with their undercover weddings.
More from Vogue:
19 Inspiring Button-Up Shirt Sightings: Patti Smith, Audrey Hepburn, and More
Why A Daily 8-Minute Afternoon Walk Might Change Your Life
12 Iconic Beauties Who Make The Case for The Cat Eye
The Best Bangs of All Time: From Jane Birkin to Alexa Chung
Photo: Getty Images