#Fatkini hashtag inspires body positivity -- and heated debate

By CHELSEA HUANG

#Fatkini is the newest hashtag to gain major traction on social media and aims to inspire women to share images of their 'real bodies' in bikinis, according to The Independent.

The word "fatkini" is attributed to fashion blogger Gabi Gregg, who coined the term in a 2012 blog post in hopes of encouraging readers to "take the plunge."

"I truly encourage you guys to get to the beach (or a pool) this summer – don't let body shame keep you from having a good time," she wrote.

The trend has become increasingly popular in the past few weeks, as scores of full-figured women post images of themselves in their bikinis. Much of the response has been positive -- Buzzfeed hailed the participating women for their "bold and beautiful" statements. But the movement has also stirred up a debate about health.

Many have taken to social media to criticize the trend for glamorizing obesity.

Despite the negativity, women continue to participate in the #fatkini movement in the name of body acceptance.

"I can't tell you how freeing it is to just have fun without worrying about what other people think," Gregg wrote.

This Summer's Biggest Beach Look: The Fat-Kini
Related:
Summer Bikini Trends
Obesity Rate in America
How to Prevent Diabetes
Most Popular Hashtags on Social Media
Trending Hashtags
Summer Trends

DONNA August 13 2014 at 5:52 AM

Mind your business. If these ladies want to wear fatkinis, it's their business, NO ONE ELSES. I'm sick of people butting into other's lives. Why don't people start with DRUG ABUSE OR these woman having babies at 16 and that doesn't seem to be a social problem? They never raise these kids or financial support them. Hey Liberals, find something better to do with your time.

Heather August 13 2014 at 7:58 AM

You know not all fat people gorge them selfs on sugar and unhealthy things. To some it might be an underlying medical condition such as hypothyroidism which I have and I was diagnosed at 16 so for the last 15 years I have been battling my weight to no end even with proper diet and being on medication. I prefer eating vegetables and healthy food over snacks and sugary sweet drinks. Do i deprive myself of those things no but i limit how much i intake. So think before you assume a fat person is fat because they are lazy and eat all the bad food that are out there it could for some people be an underlying medical condition.

Denise August 13 2014 at 7:21 AM

I think the ladies are beautiful!

MR. DITCH August 13 2014 at 7:11 AM

I love how people act like they're concerned for the fatty ' s health. If you're an A-hole, don't hide behind faux concern. Be a proud A-hole and just say what you really feel.

SteveD August 13 2014 at 6:57 AM

Of course all the losers that have everything going for them are posting mean and hateful comments. It's sad that you have to put someone down to get a laugh...at yourself, which is exactly what I'm doing; I'm laughing AT you, not with you. You people will soon experience Karma at its finest. Keep posting demeaning comments....your time is coming. Too bad all of us Chubby people can't be there to see it....but I'm already laughing AT YOU!!

libsfault August 13 2014 at 5:06 AM

Isn't there more important things to strike up a heated debate about

dlerch August 13 2014 at 7:29 AM

I have no problem with obese women or men being comfortable with their own body. Where my problem lies with them wanting society to be ok with it...if while at I'm walking at Walmart and there's an obviously very drunk person or someone very high on drugs, everyone looks at that person with disdain, especially if they've got kids with them...why does society have a problem with the situation? Because it shows total lack of self control. So why should I be ok with some women who's 5'2 350lbs? It shows the same lack of control, and if she has kids, it teaches them the exact same lack of control....

Ashleigh August 13 2014 at 7:43 AM

Bad idea. FAT IS UGLY.

tizzmine August 13 2014 at 6:10 AM

FAT-KINI......NO....PIGKINI

lawrencefishberg August 13 2014 at 5:57 AM

I find thin and toned attractive....I don't find fat attractive at all....you don't?....who cares either way.

World Series