Doctors unable to explain Grayson Kirby's miraculous recovery

Doctors Unable to Explain Man's Miraculous Recovery

HANOVER COUNTY, Va. - It's a miracle that Grayson Kirby is alive and well after he was thrown from a car at the Mid-Atlantic Power Festival in Ruckersville just over two months ago.

"I'm just bewildered at how much of a miracle it has been that I'm here and well," Kirby said.

Kirby and his family now count their blessings every day. Karen Kirby thought her son had died on June 7. In fact, he was dead when he arrived at University of Virginia Medical Center.

Doctors had little hope that Kirby would survive because the accident crushed his lungs, ribs and nearly every bone in his body. The machines that Kirby was hooked up to were the only things keeping him alive.

"I was given a less than five percent chance to live," Kirby said. "If I lived I was going to suffer brain trauma."

But Kirby's family and friends did not give up hope. They formed a Facebook page asking everyone to pray for him. Then the prayers turned into dozens of fundraisers.

"Lots of prayers," Michelle Ciucci, a family friend and hairdresser, said. "His Facebook page had like 8,600 followers and they've all prayed hard for him."

Sheldan Ciucci told his mother that he wanted to help the Kirby family. "I told her I wanted to do a lemonade stand to see how much money we would get and we pretty much got a lot," Ciucci said. The haircut fundraisers were added to cupcake sales, quilts, t-shirts and handbags all to raise funds and inspire hope.

"Just the support that everybody has given to Grayson and his family, it's just amazing," family friends Candice Pelter said.

The community of faith worked Kirby's family said. He opened his eyes on June 17 -- a few days after Father's Day. Soon after, he mouthed the words, "I love you,"[ to his father. And from that point on the family knew Kirby was going to be OK.

Kirby was transferred to Sheltering Arms Hospital in Hanover after leaving UVA Medical Center and is expected to make a full recovery. He hopes to be back working on the family farm with his father soon.

"We always knew he was special, we didn't know he was so special to so many others," Karen Kirby said.

Doctors said they could not explain Grayson's miraculous recovery and planned to study his case.

Related:
I Can't Believe I am Alive
Car Crash Survivor Stories
Car Safety
Top Rated Cars for Safety
Texting and Driving
Airbag Safety

More on AOL:
Marion County Jail releases inmate by mistake for the sixth time
'Lion Whisperer' tries to talk about lions, is repeatedly interrupted by lions
54-year-old skydiver dies during business' grand opening event

lyzhanna August 12 2014 at 10:50 AM

I happen to be a person of faith, and I am going to view this as a miracle. I point out to the people NOT of faith that the perfect storm appeared in this man of excellent medical care and his own will to live as a plausible explaination as well. Of course "I" will chose to believe that God had a hand in this BUT - its okay to me if someone views it in another light. I was raised not to mock or belittle the belief (or non-belief) of another person. I simply ask for the same respect in return.

Either way, a man fought for his life and won, and that's a victory worth celebrating by all regardless of how they choose to explain it.

PowellTreeCare lyzhanna August 12 2014 at 1:14 PM

Thank you, lyz. Very well stated. My feelings and faith, exactly.

wittlief lyzhanna August 12 2014 at 2:29 PM

and to all the families of the thousands of other people that died today
and everyday
you say what?

screw you? God wanted you dead?!

you have a very sick and twisted view of the world!

Deborah wittlief August 12 2014 at 3:31 PM

They just didn't believe , have faith or petitioned God in Prayer. Liberals and atheists will never undertsant the power of God and want to remove his name from everything. he listens even if it is to stay away so sad for you

Flag +1 rate up
fumobs wittlief August 12 2014 at 4:56 PM

Wittlief, let me throw this back to you: why are you assuming that, for other "families of the thousands of other people that died today and everyday", that God wanted them dead? Are you God? Are you some divine being, a supernatural, an alien or mind reader who has the answer to it?

Why don't you search for the answer--not as a way to go "HAH GOT YOU!" but rather to find an answer and understanding. God is God; he will do as he pleases. Even in our own definition of a superior and divine being (Christian God or not), this is a NATURAL element attributed to them--that he/she/it can do as he/she/it pleases. Yet people cry foul when the Christian God of the bible is portrayed doing as "he/she/it" pleases just because we don't agree to it.

Seriously hypocritical, no?

Let me tell you: I used to cry foul against God until I actually decided to understand it for myself, at which point I had to accept it or reject it. You need to do the same. Stop crying foul.

Flag +1 rate up
deleonedla50 August 12 2014 at 10:57 AM

It was not a miracle, it was thanks to the specialized and dedicated care from doctors and nurses that took care of him. With out this care he probable won't survived! We can say for once thank you doctor and nurses :)

ranger197172 August 12 2014 at 12:32 PM

I believe in miracles. I have been shot stabbed, blown up, faced death many times in combat situations, bitten by a cobra, survived kidney failure three times. I am Buddhist and thank him for saving me so many times. On the other hand i respect every ones rights to their religious beliefs. All i ask is the same respect be given to my religious preference.

deleonedla50 ranger197172 August 12 2014 at 12:52 PM

I respect every one religion, and I glad you survived with faith all these situations with out seeing a doctor or going to hospital and spend a lot of money. That is a true miracle. i would like to know about more true miracles like yours.

swimdude1978 August 12 2014 at 11:50 AM

Gee, I guess God must have fallen down on his job hen he allowed this accident to occur....

PowellTreeCare swimdude1978 August 12 2014 at 1:18 PM

No, swimdude. It did happen for a reason. Everything, both good and bad happens for a reason.

deleonedla50 August 12 2014 at 11:00 AM

If he dies family sue the doctor, if he survive they thank God, and doctors need to study in books on the clouds, what an irony!

songbirdgray deleonedla50 August 12 2014 at 4:02 PM

THIS WORLD IS EVIL AND SINFUL , GOD IS IN CHARGE , GET OVER IT! PEOPLE DIE BECAUSE IT IS THEIR TIME TO DIE, AND NO ONE IS IN CHARGE OF THAT BUT GOD, AND DEATH IS ON THIS WORLD BECAUSE OF SIN AND EVILNESS, PICK YOUR CHOICE AND BELIEVE AS YOU WANT TO , AS FOR ME I CHOOSE FAITH!

Deborah deleonedla50 August 12 2014 at 5:01 PM

You are a moron who do you think inspires the Doctors? GOD!

kbader56 August 12 2014 at 9:52 AM

Science will never "totally" be able to explain "God's miracles"... and, God only knows, "why" it wasn't Grayson's time...

golffrdlrs August 12 2014 at 11:43 AM

Here we go again. The article said he had a 5% chance of survival. A 5% occurrence is not a miracle. If you play roulette you have a 3% chance of hitting your number. If you hit your number is that a miracle or is it just mathematical probability? Anything with a 5% chance given thousands of instances is going to happen many times. If you really wanted to be honest about this you would need to look at all cases where a person was given a small percentage chance of survival and compare the survival rates of those who had people pray and those who didn't. Well guess what. Its already been done. Many times. And the results are always the same. No greater survival rate is seen by those who had prayers for them. You might wonder why some of us care if some of you put your faith in miracles. We just want actual medical progress instead of superstition. Here is a question for you. If god routinely heals people then why does he (or she) NEVER heal amputees?

kwhodges August 12 2014 at 12:26 PM

Faith has lots to do with surviving the unexpected or the traumatic, but don't leave out the skills and dedication of the people on the ground who put forth amazing efforts to save this man (or anyone). He got the right care at the right time and it worked. Whether you call it god or luck, just remember it was delivered by the hands of well educated, well trained medical personnel.

Deborah kwhodges August 12 2014 at 5:04 PM

When we pray for healing it is ALWAYS that God inspires and aids the good Doctors and aid their skill.

db1219 August 12 2014 at 12:37 PM

I suffered two basal skull fractures. The only reason I am alive is because of the age I was when I had those injuries. No "miracle" here nor in Hanover, Virginia.

Deborah db1219 August 12 2014 at 5:03 PM

So sad you people don't believe in God and all the wonders.

dirtyhd Deborah August 13 2014 at 1:55 AM

What "wonders" would those be Deborah? God is imaginary. Just like the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny. So sad so many grown-ups still believe in fairy tales.

Flag 0 rate up
mechtly August 12 2014 at 11:08 AM

Doctors and medical pros - above ALL - should recognized the HIGHER POWER so remarkably demonstrated in the design and function of the human corpus, such that they pay less time studying the genesis of the MIRACLE - by definition beyond empirical explanation - and spend more time in praise and awe of the MIRACLE- MAKER: our awesome, matchless GOD !!!

golffrdlrs mechtly August 12 2014 at 11:20 AM

Yes lets stop researching the actual things that saved him and put our attentions toward superstition.