Boy, 9, fights alligator, wins

Boy, 9, Fights Giant Alligator...Wins

Meet James Barney Jr., the toughest 9-year-old to grace our screens. He was swimming in a lake near Orlando last week, minding his own business, when a 400-pound alligator decided he wanted a 9-year-old for lunch.

But, apparently, James was having none of that. He told reporters, "I reached down to go grab it, and I felt its jaw, I felt its teeth. And I didn't know what to do. So I immediately reacted and hit it a couple of times. Finally, I had enough strength left to pry its jaw open a little."

James was left with about 30 teeth marks and scratches on his body -- which will make an excellent story for the ladies later.

[WARNING: SOME OF THE BELOW PHOTOS CONTAIN GRAPHIC CONTENT]

nabwolf August 11 2014 at 8:42 AM

This kid had no business swimming in those waters. I heard on the news the lake was posted a danger area. This article does not even say that. Thank goodness the alligator was not killed because of his stupidity. He is getting all this publicity for disobeying the law???

wayne August 11 2014 at 9:39 AM

The kid got lucky. He did not win a fight with an alligator. They should stop stroking this boy's ego and warn him never to swim in a pond in Florida.

anandaone August 11 2014 at 10:59 AM

Look, I understand the need for media to sensationalize and grossly exaggerate; it sells papers and airtime. But lets not be ridiculous.

If the gator wanted eat this kid, there would not have been anything he could have done about it, period.

Lets just be thankful the gator was just in a playful mood, the boy wasn't killed and stop with the silliness,

lonergan65 August 11 2014 at 9:54 AM

Having lived in Fl. for 10yrs I would like to say: never swim in any water that's not a pool.

Nina lonergan65 August 11 2014 at 2:53 PM

and If swimming in a pool, LOOK before jumping.

leavesbound lonergan65 August 11 2014 at 4:28 PM

I lived in Florida for a decade as well and that is sage advice but I would never swim in a pool without looking in it first because on more than one occasion I found alligators in my pool.

Dianne August 11 2014 at 11:42 AM

Living on the water in Louisiana where I see gators swimming I cannot understand that people swim in the same water along with their toddlers. this child should never have been in that water...irresponsible parent. I don't let my Labs swim in the water....

silkroadg August 11 2014 at 10:33 AM

CERTAINLY a macho man and the RED HAIR gives him another advantage for career success. It is a pity that Mr. Obama for all of his "scholarly learning" doesn't have a SPECK of this young man's machismo!!!

Chickiepoo August 11 2014 at 8:58 AM

I'd be more worried about MY Mama
(may she RIP) whipping my butt GOOD for "disobeying" that SIGN......

We were taught growing up....that there WOULD be "consequences" for
disobeying.....and NOT necessarily
from an alligator either......

bestmannow August 11 2014 at 8:57 AM

Cut the hero worship crap. The alligator turned loose lucky for him. alligators have jaw pressures measured in the thousands of lbs. pressure. The kid is stupid.

chuck August 11 2014 at 10:15 AM

one lucky kid

msmith6791 August 11 2014 at 11:43 AM

People - you have NO IDEA how fortunate this child is - he just missed dying. You have no idea what these alligators can do and what they DO DO. All I can say he is damn luck. Just go on You Tube and type in: Alligator fights (or any combination) - what you will see will convince you this kid just got luck. Thanks God.

RUDY msmith6791 August 11 2014 at 1:05 PM

put the parents in jail for letting the kid swim in a NO SWIM lake with Gators.