McDonald's testing one-minute drive-thru service

McDonald's Testing One-Minute Drive-Thru Service

The Miami Herald reports that McDonald's is testing a new service at select locations to try and help remedy an apparent problem at the drive thru.

At participating South Florida restaurants, McDonald's guests will receive timers when paying for their order in the drive-thru. This guarantee promises that customers will receive their meal within 60 seconds of paying for it, or receive a complimentary lunch item on a future visit. The customers have to return the timers to the McDonald's crew when they receive their food.

According to the Miami Herald, the limited time promotion will run Monday – Friday from noon to 1 p.m. through Aug. 29, in the drive-thru only.

According to a 2013 study by QSR magazine, the industry-wide average is 181 seconds, or a little more than three minutes, which includes time waiting to order until you receive the food.

We all remember when Dominos Pizza used to offer their 30-minute delivery or less pledge, which resulted in accidents, stressed out drivers and general customer dissatisfaction. Dominos eventually decided to drop that guarantee.

Also on AOL:
Obama caught doing something very unusual
Details emerge on LA stowaway
Army questions Bergdahl about his capture
3 killed, 5 wounded in Ukraine fighting
Massive crocodile eats bull shark
Musical casts role for Rob Ford

djonespsrb August 07 2014 at 8:28 AM

Face it McDonald's, your food is disgusting, your service is bad and your facilities are nasty. Why do you think a one-minute drive-thru is going to change that?

prawn259 djonespsrb August 07 2014 at 8:57 AM

Sorry you lost your job.

dave djonespsrb August 07 2014 at 9:12 AM

thats it in a nutshell

Home Resources August 07 2014 at 8:53 AM

Hahahaha! I remember when they first started drive-thru. Same 1 minute policy. It was a joke. Just like an accurate order guarantee. This time they know it won't work and its just a gimmick.

prawn259 Home Resources August 07 2014 at 9:00 AM

Not much of a gimmick, since you apparently missed the first sentence that says it's only for an hour a day.

Barb and Russ prawn259 August 07 2014 at 10:00 AM

You must have a different article than I - the one I have says nothing about it being only one hour a day.??

Flag 0 rate up
BILL August 07 2014 at 8:42 AM

The food is already bad,now you can get precooked warmed over hamburgers along with warmed over fries in less than a minute,vonderbar!

tfratz August 07 2014 at 8:47 AM

Several weeks ago I went thru a McD's at noontime. I was handed a timer and asked to take it to the next window. The time ran out before I got my order - no explanation about the timer and no "complimentary lunch item" were offered......???

Charlie August 07 2014 at 8:20 AM

Of course they don't guarantee you will get what you ordered though.

billharn August 07 2014 at 8:30 AM

I wonder how many of those "one-minute-wonder" orders will be returned because of errors! And I wonder what that promise will do to the walk-up customer orders inside the restaurant.

rb August 07 2014 at 9:35 AM

That means more cold dry food that's been pre-cooked and held until ordered. I would rather wait a few minutes for hot crispy fries, chicken or fish. That's why I quit going to fast food restaurants...cold dry food.

prawn259 August 07 2014 at 8:55 AM

Select locations, one hour a day, five days a week. That'll do a lot.

jmamusicman August 07 2014 at 8:44 AM

Sounds pretty stupid to me...First off, who's going to pay for these Timers...Will the cost be add-in to the price of the food?...Second,...With obesity on the rise in America, why encourage people to sit on their butts in their cars when they could just park and walk a few feet to the restaurant...get a little exercise before consuming those calories...Third...As a consumer, I'd be more interested in seeing McD lower some of their already inflated prices for their assorted hocky-pucks and, especially, over-priced drinks.

prawn259 jmamusicman August 07 2014 at 8:59 AM

Exactly what is it that actually bothers you about this... that they're doing ANYTHING? Face it, they could say "We're selling New York steaks and giving all our employees an extra ten dollars an hour, starting this morning," and you'd be here complaining and screaming "who is going to pay for it?" Get a life.

jmamusicman prawn259 August 07 2014 at 9:11 AM

Yo...Prawn...This is an open forum and I am entitled to voice my opinion...And I still think people would be better-off getting off their butts and getting out of their cars and walking into the restaurant...And, as for lower prices...What's wrong with asking about THAT...McD has already RAISED the prices on their "dollar" menu and now calls it the "dollar plus" menu...with the only "plus" being the higher prices...And their beverages (except the coffee) ARE grossly over-priced...
Now....Why don't YOU "get a life"...

Flag 0 rate up
john August 07 2014 at 9:48 AM

HOW ABOUT PROMISING TO USE EVERIFY AND TO PROMISE TO STOP HIRING ILLEGAL ALIENS INSTEAD OF AMERICAN WORKERS??? NOW THAT WOULD GET ME BACK TO MCDEES AND I WONT STEP FOOT IN THERE UNTIL I HEAR THEM SAY THAT