McDonald's testing one-minute drive-thru service

McDonald's Testing One-Minute Drive-Thru Service

The Miami Herald reports that McDonald's is testing a new service at select locations to try and help remedy an apparent problem at the drive thru.

At participating South Florida restaurants, McDonald's guests will receive timers when paying for their order in the drive-thru. This guarantee promises that customers will receive their meal within 60 seconds of paying for it, or receive a complimentary lunch item on a future visit. The customers have to return the timers to the McDonald's crew when they receive their food.

According to the Miami Herald, the limited time promotion will run Monday – Friday from noon to 1 p.m. through Aug. 29, in the drive-thru only.

According to a 2013 study by QSR magazine, the industry-wide average is 181 seconds, or a little more than three minutes, which includes time waiting to order until you receive the food.

We all remember when Dominos Pizza used to offer their 30-minute delivery or less pledge, which resulted in accidents, stressed out drivers and general customer dissatisfaction. Dominos eventually decided to drop that guarantee.

Also on AOL:
Obama caught doing something very unusual
Details emerge on LA stowaway
Army questions Bergdahl about his capture
3 killed, 5 wounded in Ukraine fighting
Massive crocodile eats bull shark
Musical casts role for Rob Ford

Home Resources August 07 2014 at 8:53 AM

Hahahaha! I remember when they first started drive-thru. Same 1 minute policy. It was a joke. Just like an accurate order guarantee. This time they know it won't work and its just a gimmick.

djonespsrb August 07 2014 at 8:28 AM

Face it McDonald's, your food is disgusting, your service is bad and your facilities are nasty. Why do you think a one-minute drive-thru is going to change that?

dave djonespsrb August 07 2014 at 9:12 AM

thats it in a nutshell

tfratz August 07 2014 at 8:47 AM

Several weeks ago I went thru a McD's at noontime. I was handed a timer and asked to take it to the next window. The time ran out before I got my order - no explanation about the timer and no "complimentary lunch item" were offered......???

BILL August 07 2014 at 8:42 AM

The food is already bad,now you can get precooked warmed over hamburgers along with warmed over fries in less than a minute,vonderbar!

rb August 07 2014 at 9:35 AM

That means more cold dry food that's been pre-cooked and held until ordered. I would rather wait a few minutes for hot crispy fries, chicken or fish. That's why I quit going to fast food restaurants...cold dry food.

jmamusicman August 07 2014 at 8:44 AM

Sounds pretty stupid to me...First off, who's going to pay for these Timers...Will the cost be add-in to the price of the food?...Second,...With obesity on the rise in America, why encourage people to sit on their butts in their cars when they could just park and walk a few feet to the restaurant...get a little exercise before consuming those calories...Third...As a consumer, I'd be more interested in seeing McD lower some of their already inflated prices for their assorted hocky-pucks and, especially, over-priced drinks.

billharn August 07 2014 at 8:30 AM

I wonder how many of those "one-minute-wonder" orders will be returned because of errors! And I wonder what that promise will do to the walk-up customer orders inside the restaurant.

Charlie August 07 2014 at 8:20 AM

Of course they don't guarantee you will get what you ordered though.

Barb and Russ August 07 2014 at 9:57 AM

What an asinine idea! I know we are a civilization of instant gratification but I personally don't want to rush these McD workers in getting my order within 60 seconds. MrDonald's, surely you can come up with a better idea than this one.

Tucky Girl August 07 2014 at 9:39 AM

Excuse me but I like my eggs 'done'.