Millionaire rescues unwanted dog

Millionaire Rescues Unwanted Dog

ODESSA, FL-- Lady the black lab looks like she fits right in at her ritzy Florida mansion, so it's hard to believe that in the past two years, she's bounced from shelter to shelter.

In Kansas, Lady escaped one family's home and walked 30 miles back to a former family that didn't want her. That's when Helen Rich, an heiress to the Wrigley chewing gum company, heard the story. Rich was devastated when she heard that Lady was rejected, and she couldn't stand the thought of Lady being sent to the shelter again. She decided to adopt her -- even sending along an assistant and a private jet because she was in Hawaii.

Now, Lady lives in a 15,000 square foot mansion with rich and her other dogs. They've got plenty of land to enjoy and Rich is happy to have a new furry pal.

Rich is also trying to bring attention to other dogs who need a helping hand.

"Lady deserves having the best possible life for bringing attention to all the others like her," Rich said.

Life is pretty sweet for Lady, who is sort of like the Orphan Annie of dogs. A devastating rejection led to a really wonderful forever home -- and Rich summed it up to WFLA in one short sentence: "That's just karma, isn't it?"

More to see:
Baby seal plays with surfer
NY woman found with stolen snake after crash
Adorable little kid takes over TV interview

Christopher August 06 2014 at 6:19 AM

A 1 percenter reaches out with love and compassion and will give this dog the best care that money will buy, the same way that the 1 percenters help take care of millions of americans everyday. What a shame liberals are such haters that they can't see past their liberal religion and see the truth and how blessed they are to be in america with people that aquired such wealth that they help those that can not help themselves.

bellemia16 August 06 2014 at 6:07 AM

Bless you !!!!!!!!

marcsmpsn August 06 2014 at 7:05 AM

The lady will be blessed...

Gene August 06 2014 at 6:16 AM

Nice story. The sad thing is most humans are deserving of less that this once unwanted dog. Dogs are truly mans best friend and totally loyal to any that display love towards them.

jockey01 August 06 2014 at 7:42 AM

all her money aside..she's a good woman

terrytturner2 jockey01 August 06 2014 at 6:39 PM

"All her money aside"? Whats wrong with money?

halloqueen2 jockey01 August 06 2014 at 8:20 PM

Why the snark? This woman has money snf probably works hard to keep it. If she's able to do some good with it, she's ok in my book.

pjpwrite August 06 2014 at 7:35 AM

The story is great but for someone who volunteers in a shelter, we need many more stories like this. There are many unwanted dogs in shelters who are truly deserving of a loving home. 2.7 million are euthenized every year.

oujoou August 06 2014 at 5:51 AM

I haven't chewed gum in years. Maybe a decade. I loved it as a kid though. Juicy Fruit. Double Mint. Bubble gum. I even learned to like Bazooka which is kinda hard core. Wow. What a nice lady to let in this beautiful doggie. :) Better than a movie. :)

savannahswithgod oujoou August 06 2014 at 9:51 AM

Well go get a piece. I think the best gum was that flat piece which came with the Tops baseball cards.

dbsquirl August 06 2014 at 7:45 AM

What a lucky dog! Hopefully others step up and adopt a pet from a shelter instead of buying one from a puppy mill. There are so many who need a home.

Richard August 06 2014 at 6:28 AM

Too bad we don't have millionaires doing this for our senior citizens too.

sneakyp957 August 06 2014 at 6:58 AM

I don't understand people that abandon old dogs that have obviously been a part of their family for years.

I live in a rural area and came home one day to find what I thought was a dead black lab laying in my yard. When I walked up to look,I discovered it was a very old male black lab that had just passed out from exhaustion and heat. Temps were in the upper 90's and he had walked a long way up the dirt road to get to my house just couldn't make it all the way up into the yard. I gave him water and got him up in the shade so he could recover. I kept him around for a couple of days and he would do his best to try to follow me around the yard,but he could only walk 15-20 feet at a time and then had to lay down to rest and catch his breath. Yet somebody who had lived with this dog for years abandoned him out in the country to die from dehydration and starvation.

I ended up having to call the county animal control to pick him up and give him a peaceful death.